Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

NOTAMS not showing, potential hazards

Author
johnofyork
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Lost confidence in Skydemon after several MAJOR issues with NOTAMS not being displayed. Check the NOTAMS, no Red Arrows flights showing, just by chance add 1 hour to the flight time and it shows Red Arrows transit later that day. Something so major should not be toggled on or off depending upon the flight time, it should show for the full day. Red Arrows transit time can vary (as it says in the NOTAM) and also my flight time could vary. I have planned a local route covering a large area that I may fly in on that day. When I check the NOTAMS I expect it to show anything within that area for that complete day. I often have no set destination, no set take off and landing time. In this particular case I could have set a specific take off time and the NOTAM would not have shown. Return late afternoon without being able to check NOTAMS again and fly in to a Red Arrows formation. Also, if you open a flight plan it shows the date last used and unless you change the date NOTAMS dont show. As mentioned before, I think it should automatically select the current date. No doubt the forum experts will be telling me I'm doing it all wrong but it's not fool proof and could have cost me my licence or a hefty fine.
I do my flight planning on a PC before going out for the day, I do not have a GPS because of the lack of suitable hardware with a bright screen.
IR-novice
IR-novice
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
In the new version, if you click Filtering in the Notams window it shows you what time frame is being filtered, and you can adjust it to the time frame you'd like. The time frame set by default may be a bit tight for a flexible day out, but any NOTAM retrieval (even via NATS) works on this filtering approach. Unfortunately, like other graphical NOTAM representations, the software just can't predict whether something is an important NOTAM or not, it goes purely by Q-line info.
The choice is yours. My usual approach is that if it's a local bimble on a sunny day I filter the full day in question so I remain flexible, if it's a longer trip to the Continent I will restrict more to avoid getting flooded by alerts.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
The times between which NOTAM are shown are up to you. By default, if no takeoff time is specified, SkyDemon will show you NOTAM applicable in the next 48 hours. If you do specify a precise takeoff time, SkyDemon assumes that you will want to see NOTAM applicable around the time of your flight, with a safety margin. The period covered by your NOTAM briefing is always accessible to you in the NOTAM Filtering window, and like IR-novice says, it is no different than any other NOTAM briefing for which a time window is set.
johnofyork
johnofyork
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
Example: I open a "local route" (circular route covering a VERY large area that I MAY fly in that day) and do not set a flight time as suggested, check the NOTAMS and nothing shows so go flying. Have since found "by accident" that when I open the flight plan it has automatically set a date and time from when the plan was last used so could be say 3 weeks old. Hence NOTAMS are not correct. It seems to me that when a flight plan is opened it should automatically set the current date and time so NOTAMS showing 48 hours from the current date is fine. So how do I open an old route and set NO take off time? I can only see how to MODIFY the take off time which brings me back to the original post as it also sets a landing time. I would rather have too much information showing by default and then filter it out myself. I realise I'm a bit dumb but there must be others like me thinking they have done the right thing and checked the NOTAMS so it's safe to go flying. When I close my local route it asks me if I want to save it even though there are no changes and at that point changes the date to current date. If I opened it 2 minutes later it would all be correct. I just don't undestand why it cannot be made to open with current date and time?
johnofyork
johnofyork
OK found out how to set it to no take off time and then save it like that. Will have to do that with all the routes. Still think it's open to error, others are going to make the same mistake.
pink leader
pink leader
Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)Too Much Forum (48K reputation)
Unless things have changed, in order to get briefing (wx notams) onto mobile device you HAVE to set a departure time and then save the plan before syncing.

This means that when re-loading an old flightplan, the NOTAM problem referred to above will persist. I do think that if take-off is a time/date in the past it should be automatically be changed to current time so that on saving, current briefing is transferred to the mobile device.

If I have misundertsood either the problem or how things currently work, I apologise in advance.

D
tonyhs
tonyhs
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
I cannot alter the notam filter times, they are Greyed out. Is there some other switch/flag I should have set?

Tony Harrison-Smith

Essex Flyer Blog
Mig29fuk
Mig29fuk
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Surely 'johnofyork' you are over dramatising your loss of confidence. SD as being used by you has a risk of not retrieving correct date/time information. Do you recognise this statement when commencing use!

This software is an aid to VFR flight planning and navigation only.
It does not replace your chart, your cockpit instruments or any other tools mandated for the safe planning or navigation of flights.

How about a look at:
http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/fwf-natsuk/restricted/user/ino/brief_overview.faces
That's as official as you can get.

I'm starting to be boggled by what people expect from these devices!!!

Gerry Holland
White Ox Mead Airstrip, Near Bath, Somerset
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
John, this is mostly down to how you're using the SkyDemon tool. I disagree that if you set an explicit takeoff time for your route, then load that route later, we should change or remove its takeoff time automatically. It forms part of your saved plan.

What we have done recently, however, is to show a warning when the takeoff time for a route is set in the past. This warning forms part of the normal planning warnings and may well solve the issue where somebody may be unaware that they have specified a takeoff time in the past and therefore past data may be being shown.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search