Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

2.4.beta

Author
nje
Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Haven't managed to fly with it yet, but have been playing and it seems to run without fault, the airfield plates are an excellent feature. I use a 5 inch device and was surprised to find a 'simulator' on it. It flies the chosen route nicely.

The glide safe feature, is very clever it shows up and performs well. Unfortunately my aircraft is on its annual so I can't get aloft to check it out further.

Well done
T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)
I agree - the beta seems very stable, although like nje, I haven't had chance to fly with it yet (my plane is stuck in Sandown having gone tech :-( ). The GlideSafe feature is an excellent idea, and I'm going to look forward to trying it during a PFL on a windy day to see how it behaves in real life.

Keep up the good work at SkyDemon, and thank you for everything you've given to GA already.

T67M
nje
nje
Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)
At last! I've been able to fly today even though the conditions weren't all that good. I flew from Hawarden into the Wings and Wheels event at Wellesbourne.

Skydemon on my 5 inch device and the latest 'beta' version performed excently. I turned on the 'glidesafe' and it did exactly as it should, the airspace was very busy with the Red Arrows and B.B.M.F. at 3 different venues all close by and a mass transit from a lot of microlights but the warnings from SD kept poping up with its messages and screen highlights to remind me.

I also saved the routes to 'cloud and then downloaded them to my device, No problems to report. Well done
Edited 6/17/2012 5:16:40 PM by nje
srayne
srayne
Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)
Like NJE I've been unable to fly for a while but checking out the 2.4beta on the ground the improvements are great.

I love the ability to be able to access VFR airfield plates, but although I've ticked the IFR box in the plates filtering I am unable to access any IFR plates - is this just not implemented yet?

I cannot view the plates on my WinCE mobile device after syncing - is this by design, and if so will the plates eventually be transferred to, and readable on, the mobile platform - I hope so?

With cloud storage I would like to be able to sync my local routes with the cloud storage rather than just the load/save function that is currently available - is this a possibility for the future?

When saving a new route could the default file name be set to the title of the planning window (i.e. "departure - destination")?

Simon
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
IFR plates are still being loaded into our system and they will become available over the next week or so.

At the moment we don't have a way of showing PDFs on WinCE devices. If and when a way becomes available to us we'll pursue it.

Sync to cloud storage would be great but we need to have a really good idea of what people expect from it so we avoid unintended data loss due to overwriting etc.

Filename idea sounds good.
srayne
srayne
Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)
Filename idea sounds good.

Thanks Tim I see you've implemented this in the 20th June Beta release but only for "Save to Cloud..." and not for "Save" and "Save As..." - was there a reason for this or just an oversight?

In the "Plates" window can you make the list collapsible by clicking on each airfield name to expand/collapse the list of plates for that airfield, because when displaying IFR charts for several airfields the list can become overly long? Also could you add a magnifying glass (search) icon against each airfield name to search for that airfield (like the NOTAM window has).

When syncing to a mobile (WinCE) device could you at least transfer the plate PDF files to a "plates" directory on the mobile device and leave it up to the user to install and use a PDF reader to access them?
srayne
srayne
The SkyDemon Facebook page says that UK postcode search is available on the latest 2.4 beta. I can't get this to work, do I have to do something to enable it?

Simon
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Visit the SkyDemon downloads page to download the UK postcode database.
srayne
srayne
Tim Dawson (21/06/2012)
Visit the SkyDemon downloads page to download the UK postcode database.

Thanks Tim,

I can confirm that the postcode search works for me now that I've downloaded the database.

A suggestion: Would it be better to download the postcode data files as part of the charts download/update facility (i.e. add the UK Postcode database as a separate 'chart' which I can select for download/update with other charts, and the same for the BGA turning points data), this would simplify updates and adding additional postcode databases as they become available.

Many thanks,
Simon
Colin Bond
Colin Bond
Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)
I also have now managed to get the postcode facility working. I must admit I needed a little help from SD Head Office, who explained that you needed to type in the full postcode in the "Find" box before it is shown - obvious now!

One thing I noticed (unless I missed a trick) is that although the position of the postcode is shown as a 'cross' on the map, you can not directly insert it as a waypoint. You can note the lat & long given in the "Find" box, and then create a user-defined waypoint as normal. Maybe a tweak in the future could make this process automatic, if required by the user?

Great job team.Smile
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search