Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Tape measure?

Author
mr_rodge
Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all,

A simple and extremely useful addition to the software would be to have a 'tape measure' tool that could be used to measure the difference between two points. I know it can be done by drawing a route, but if I have already planned my flight and want to know an accurate distance between two points en-route, such as the exact length of a water crossing, I feel something like this would be more useful than the chart scale.

Cheers.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
I agree it would be useful. How would you envisage such a tool working?
adhawkins
adhawkins
Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)
Click a 'Measure' button on the toolbar to enter 'measure mode'. Click on a point, then as you drag the mouse around it gives you distance and bearing from the point you originally clicked (either as a tooltip or in the status bar somewhere).

ESC or click the toolbar button again to leave measure mode.
mr_rodge
mr_rodge
Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)
What the above says Smile

Maybe it could 'snap' to things that aren't normally 'snappable' as well, such as town/village boundaries/centres, shore lines etc etc.

Cheers.
luigi692
luigi692
Too Much Forum (839 reputation)Too Much Forum (839 reputation)Too Much Forum (839 reputation)Too Much Forum (839 reputation)Too Much Forum (839 reputation)Too Much Forum (839 reputation)Too Much Forum (839 reputation)Too Much Forum (839 reputation)Too Much Forum (839 reputation)
I agree, this would be an extremely useful tool, especially to find bearing and distance from a VOR or NDB
One could for ex hold the <Shift> key while dragging the cursor on the screen and a label would appear to indicate distance and bearing between initial point and cursor position, or on a pop up form like the Google Earth ruler tool.
helisharing_dot_co_dot_uk
helisharing_dot_co_dot_uk
Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)
Agree it would be a nice feature - but with the addition of the ipad shifts become a bit harder to do!

Like the idea of - click the measure button, tap the start point, tap the end point line is drawn showing distance and vector - tap the measure button or dbl-tap the line to clear the line.

That is remarkably similar functionality to google earth measure.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search