Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Live Map window flickers badly

Author
c
Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm wondering if anyone else has also seen this nasty issue I have since the last update in May to 3.16.3 on Android. After the update I now have a fairly serious issue that is making SkyDemon unusable for me. When in flying (or simulation) mode the map window flashes white and blanks out regularly for up to a few seconds at a time each time the aircraft icon moves, but only if I have one of the tab dialogs open, e.g. I keep the radio tab open in flight for current/next frequency info etc. It's only the live map window section that flashes and disappears, the tabs and dialogs don't flash etc. If I unclick the tab then all appears ok again. If I drag the window with my finger it's really bad I have attached a link to a video I took that shows the issue.

In the video I am in simulation mode but it was the same in flight and quite unusable now. Before this latest upate all was good and has worked fine for years so something has changed in the refresh/graphics code around this window.

I have contacted support already but they say it's not in the software and must be a problem with my device, but as I say, it has worked fine on all the previous versions so something has changed in the software somewhere and no other apps cause an effect like this. Anyone any ideas? I can't use it like this.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)
Have you tried rolling back to a previous version to verify that the issue doesn't occur with any of the tabs open?
colled
c
Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)Forum Member (48 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 7/14/2022 10:05:15 AM
Have you tried rolling back to a previous version to verify that the issue doesn't occur with any of the tabs open?

I'll try rolling back and confirm. 
colled
c
Hi Tim,

I download and rolled back to the previous apk file for version 3.15.8 and all works ok again, no horrible flicker. Then updated again to the latest version 3.16 and instantly the problem comes back and it starts flickering again. I have attached another video link showing the differences between versions, something has definitley changed.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)
Yes, in the latest version we changed the Radio tab to use web technology to lay out its interface. That's why I asked you to check all the tabs when you rolled back to the previous version. If I'm right, the other tabs (which have been web technology for a while) will show this effect in the previous version, even if the Radio tab doesn't.
colled
c
Ok, I have rolled back again and checked the other tabs in nav mode and I get the very occasional brief flicker on Weather and Airfields, and Notams seems ok for some reason, hence I didn't notice it before. The Radio tab is far worse, which is unfortunate as that is the only tab I use in flight.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Ok, thanks for checking again. This does show that it's a general problem with web content. You may be able to disable hardware acceleration or something similar for SkyDemon as a workaround, but this is a problem on your device beyond SkyDemon.
colled
c
Hmmm, I have checked if there is a setting on my device (Huawei Tab4 8 plus) to switch off the hardware acceleration and unfortunately there is not, it's on by default with the later versions of Android for all tablets by the looks of it. From what I have read, it appears that each application needs to specifically set it off in code when it runs, so sounds like SkyDemon would need that setting inside itself as an option.

I have checked around other apps that use web content windows/dialogs and don't see any issues with those though, I would expect to see the same kind of issue elsewhere.

I appreciate that development on Android is not that straight forward in terms of  maintaining compatibility across the many brands and devices that use it, but this seems like a big issue that could affect other devices. I guess I'm now looking at buying a new tablet but am now wondering which one and whether it will be compatible with Skydemon now and in the future. And no, I'm not changing to an iPad, hate Apple products with a passion Wink

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
For what it's worth, none of us at SkyDemon have heard of the issue before. It might be worth checking whether there are any updates available to the software on your tablet, including the Google apps, which may upgrade the web browser engine on the device.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search