Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Fixed aircraft position, moving map

Author
kowgli
Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

Question as in the topic. Is it possible to keep the aircraft static and have the map move, not the other way around? 
I think I went through all the option but could not find it. The way it works now is very confusing for me when flying. I would prefer to have the aircraft at a fixed position somewhere near the bottom of the screen and have the map scroll. 
I would like to see as much ahead as I can all the time. Right now it "flies" to edge of the screen and then jumps (or not). 70% of the map is behind me. I dont really care what's behind me. 

I understand it might make it harder to click on things, but it mostly moves so slow it would probably work just fine.

Am I missing something or is there no option for such a (more common) display style?

Edited 10/22/2021 6:06:01 PM by kowgli
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)
You can drag the HSI instrument out of hiding at the bottom of the chart display, and resize it/position it anywhere on the chart.
kowgli
kowgli
Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)
grahamb - 10/22/2021 5:48:36 PM
You can drag the HSI instrument out of hiding at the bottom of the chart display, and resize it/position it anywhere on the chart.

Thanks for the reply, but that was not at all what I was asking. I just want the airplane to be fixed on the screen and the map to scroll. Not the other way around. 

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)
My display doesn’t scroll continuously, but certainly does it well before the aircraft symbol reaches the edge. More like 80/20 going to 60/40 then redrawing back to 80/20.

(It was you mentioning an HSI like display in your previously unedited post which misled me)
Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)
He's asking to make your position static on the display, so everything would move around you:

I also was kinda disappointed when I found out that there are no options for that 🙁

grahamb
grahamb
Thanks. I know what he’s asking, I’m just saying that the behaviour he’s describing is not what I’ve experienced on the devices I’ve used for SkyDemon.
Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)Too Much Forum (383 reputation)
Still, it would be great to have such a view.

Martin Bech
Martin Bech
Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)
If you use TCAS like equipment you would like to see the surroundings, to spot other aircrafts, so for me the present way is ok.
kowgli
kowgli
Martin Bech - 10/24/2021 7:26:26 AM
If you use TCAS like equipment you would like to see the surroundings, to spot other aircrafts, so for me the present way is ok.

Not really the point. You could have the airplane fixed at the center of the screen. Could be an option. 
It's just very confusing for me to have the airplane move instead of the map. It's not how most navigations (including car) work. 
It could have been designed this way years ago because of performance. It's much less demanding to move a single icon instead of redrawing the whole map, but that's not really a problem anymore on modern hardware.

To recap... There is no way to do this in the current version? 

Edited 10/24/2021 8:05:34 AM by kowgli
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)
There's no way of doing what you're asking in SkyDemon, but what you are describing is not the way SkyDemon works either. You should find that your aircraft icon moves only a little way before the map redraws. It is for performance (battery usage) reasons, and works well. Unless you're staring at your device you shouldn't even notice it.

Please post a screenshot and describe the situation if you're noticing the aircraft move more than 15mm without the map updating. Note that if you're moving the map yourself, SkyDemon will pause the map following for 30 seconds and then resume.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search