Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Audio warnings - volume too low

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Have you tried changing the volume while Martha is actually speaking? That's how you ensure you're changing the "right" volume on iOS.
PaulSS
P
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 8/27/2021 10:55:20 AM
Have you tried changing the volume while Martha is actually speaking? That's how you ensure you're changing the "right" volume on iOS.

I will double-check, Tim, as that is something I'm likely to cock up and then wonder why it doesn't work as briefed.

PaulSS
P
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Yep, that got it Smile

So the 'secret' is to pair the headset to the iPad on Bluetooth, open up SkyDemon and go to the voices in Navigation and then just press Martha's voice and adjust the side keys for volume while she's talking and telling us what she sounds like. Once this is done the Bluetooth volume is set and it all works well when flying. I tried all this today and Marta was more than loud enough with her announcement of proximate aerial vehicles.

It bugged me a bit because I knew, originally, the voice was loud enough but obviously changed the settings in the interim. Anyway, thanks for the tip, Tim and I'm glad everything works properly again.

dapedza
d
Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)
More on this, and thanks to the excellent advice on here.
Made sure Bluetooth was switched off on the iPad. Boom, the warnings came through loud and clear on the D.C. headset via Bluetooth and android phone. Problem solved or so I thought. Wrong.
Turns out lots of warnings are being missed. Judging by the comments here - due to processing limitations on the phone, (even though it’s a Galaxy A12).
Have tried to switch things around where the iPad Pro is connected to the SkyEcho wifi and DC headset via Bluetooth, but it’s even worse.
It’s potentially such a powerful safety feature - I won’t give up just yet!
Thanks again for all the advice.

PaulSS
P
Don’t forget that the Bluetooth will prioritise the radio etc and will mute the warnings. So you may well be getting the warnings correctly but intercom, radio etc may well be causing you not to get the warning audio.
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
PaulSS - 8/30/2021 11:57:17 AM
Don’t forget that the Bluetooth will prioritise the radio etc and will mute the warnings. So you may well be getting the warnings correctly but intercom, radio etc may well be causing you not to get the warning audio.

My Bose can either ‘mix’ intercom/radio with the Bluetooth input, or prioritise the radio/intercom over Bluetooth. Leaving the squelch set too open can also mean losing Bluetooth input on the latter setting. 

dapedza
d
Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)
Thanks folks, think you may have nailed the problem. Busy instructing environment with radio and intercom in use, plus poorly set squelch levels may be the issue.
I had no idea Bluetooth was prioritising radio and intercom, but it makes perfect sense!

buzz53
buzz53
Too Much Forum (997 reputation)Too Much Forum (997 reputation)Too Much Forum (997 reputation)Too Much Forum (997 reputation)Too Much Forum (997 reputation)Too Much Forum (997 reputation)Too Much Forum (997 reputation)Too Much Forum (997 reputation)Too Much Forum (997 reputation)
For some time, I have been feeding SD audio from my Nexus 7 headset jack into a Flightcom intercom and, with all settings at max, the result is just barely adequate. A friend feeding a Funke radio has a similar problem.

I had observed that SD is simply much quieter on the internal speaker than other media playing apps. Finally getting around to investigate, I installed the Android “Function Generator” app on the Nexus. This is an audio function generator and with everything at max, the Nexus outputs a perfect sinewave at 1.5v pk-pk. This is also comfortably reproduced by the internal loudspeaker at a good volume. SD speech on the other hand is only 0.5v pk-pk at most.

I don’t know how the internal audio interface works in Android, but it does seem SD is unusually low on level in that it does not allow the full output capability of the device to be used, unlike other media apps, and also therefore requires the volume to be set abnormally high. Is there any possibilty of increasing it?

Alan

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Alan,

I run SD on an Samsung S8 Galaxy smartphone and have my phone's audio output connected to my Trig radio external audio in.
I find the volume of SD audio alerts very good and at a reasonable volume.
Check to ensure that you have your Nexus audio levels turned up high. Try plugging an earpiece into the Nexus and see what audio level you get.
Tony

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
buzz53 - 2/14/2022 9:57:22 PM
For some time, I have been feeding SD audio from my Nexus 7 headset jack into a Flightcom intercom and, with all settings at max, the result is just barely adequate. A friend feeding a Funke radio has a similar problem.

I had observed that SD is simply much quieter on the internal speaker than other media playing apps. Finally getting around to investigate, I installed the Android “Function Generator” app on the Nexus. This is an audio function generator and with everything at max, the Nexus outputs a perfect sinewave at 1.5v pk-pk. This is also comfortably reproduced by the internal loudspeaker at a good volume. SD speech on the other hand is only 0.5v pk-pk at most.

I don’t know how the internal audio interface works in Android, but it does seem SD is unusually low on level in that it does not allow the full output capability of the device to be used, unlike other media apps, and also therefore requires the volume to be set abnormally high. Is there any possibilty of increasing it?

Alan

Not sure whether or not this will help, but having connected your headset to your Nexus via Bluetooth, in SD go to Settings > Navigation Options > Voice then tap on your chosen voice and while he/she is talking adjust your Nexus volume to suit.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search