Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Audio warnings - volume too low

Author
d
Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Know this probably not a SD issue, but the answer may be out there.
Running SD on either iPad or android phone with SkyEcho2.
Bluetooth to a David Clark PRO-X2 headset.
So far, so good. Gives excellent warnings of CAS, ATZ’s and ADSB traffic. But the volume is too low to pick up warnings in a noisy C152.
Any ideas? Thanks for your advice!

PaulSS
P
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
dapedza - 8/15/2021 8:20:29 AM
So far, so good. Gives excellent warnings of CAS, ATZ’s and ADSB traffic. But the volume is too low to pick up warnings in a noisy C152.

Have you got the volume turned up on your iPad? Have you got the volume buttons pressed to max on the DC's control box? Just go max on the iPad, max on the DCs and turn the radio/intercom volume down.

I must say that if I do the same with my DCs and iPad then it is far too loud. 

PaulSS
P
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Well, I am going to apologise AND eat my words. I certainly used to get decent volume but that is no longer the case.

I have recently been running all my audio through a mixer but decided to separate the iPad and use Bluetooth to my DC One-X headset. This is mainly so I don't get my wife asking me where every aircraft is that she hears announced (Bluetooth from iPad is only to one headset and it's not her's). The volume was turned up to maximum on the iPad and, likewise, the headsets but I too found the voice (Martha) so quiet as to be unusable. This is not a noisy aircraft (Eurofox with a Rotax engine). There was traffic around and I could, occasionally, just about hear her say something but what she said was unintelligible and certainly useless as far as traffic information is concerned.

I have no idea if something has changed to make it all so quiet but it certainly needs addressing......assuming that's possible from the SD end, which may not be an option.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
I don't think this is anything to do with SkyDemon.
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
PaulSS - 8/22/2021 5:57:30 PM
Well, I am going to apologise AND eat my words. I certainly used to get decent volume but that is no longer the case.

I have recently been running all my audio through a mixer but decided to separate the iPad and use Bluetooth to my DC One-X headset. This is mainly so I don't get my wife asking me where every aircraft is that she hears announced (Bluetooth from iPad is only to one headset and it's not her's). The volume was turned up to maximum on the iPad and, likewise, the headsets but I too found the voice (Martha) so quiet as to be unusable. This is not a noisy aircraft (Eurofox with a Rotax engine). There was traffic around and I could, occasionally, just about hear her say something but what she said was unintelligible and certainly useless as far as traffic information is concerned.

I have no idea if something has changed to make it all so quiet but it certainly needs addressing......assuming that's possible from the SD end, which may not be an option.

Long shot - you don't have a second device running SD to which you might have inadvertantly connected, do you? 

Don't ask how I know ... Wink

dapedza
d
Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)
grahamb - 8/23/2021 10:06:34 AM

Long shot - you don't have a second device running SD to which you might have inadvertantly connected, do you? 

Ah, that’s a good point. Usually have it running on an iPad, which is using it’s own location GPS (not SkyEcho). In future, I’ll make sure it’s Bluetooth is off!

dapedza
d
PaulSS - 8/21/2021 6:26:28 PM
dapedza - 8/15/2021 8:20:29 AM

Have you got the volume turned up on your iPad? Have you got the volume buttons pressed to max on the DC's control box? Just go max on the iPad, max on the DCs and turn the radio/intercom volume down.

I must say that if I do the same with my DCs and iPad then it is far too loud. 

Thanks Paul. Haven’t been using the iPad for the audio. I’ve been using the android phone, with the volume all the way up.
Might give the iPad a go in the future to see if it’s volume is any better.

PaulSS
P
grahamb - 8/23/2021 10:06:34 AM

Hi Graham,

No, not in my case. I literally have the iPad Mini with SD. It uses Pilot Aware for its GPS info. The iPad's Bluetooth is connected to my David Clark DC-X headset. The headset and iPad volumes are set to maximum but Martha is too quiet to be of any use.

I like the intelligent voice function of SD but that's only any good if I can hear it. I may go back to piping it through the mixer or simplify things and just put Pilot Aware voice through the mixer and forget SD audio all together.

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
This may or may not help you...
I run SD on my Android smartphone and have a wired connection from the phone's audio connector to my Trig radio's Ext Audio In.
I usually fly with a pair of Clarity Aloft in-ear headsets for myself and wife and the SD audio warnings are of good volume.
Yesterday I took a friend flying and used a pair of "traditional" headsets and found the SD audio warnings very low level and just usable.

So, your audio level issue may be due to the headset you are using. 
Hope this helps....

PaulSS
P
Tony N - 8/26/2021 7:57:14 AM
This may or may not help you...
I run SD on my Android smartphone and have a wired connection from the phone's audio connector to my Trig radio's Ext Audio In.
I usually fly with a pair of Clarity Aloft in-ear headsets for myself and wife and the SD audio warnings are of good volume.
Yesterday I took a friend flying and used a pair of "traditional" headsets and found the SD audio warnings very low level and just usable.

So, your audio level issue may be due to the headset you are using. 
Hope this helps....

Hi Tony,

I have a similar set up (when I'm using it), inasmuch as the iPad (with SD), EFIS and Pilot Aware are fed to an audio mixer (with amp) and then off to my Trig internal intercom and thence DC One-X headsets. With this set up the volumes are usable.

If, however, I connect SD to my headset through Bluetooth then Martha is far too quiet (I've suggested my wife might like to get a BT transmitter installed and am still recovering). When I am next at the aircraft I will test the Bluetooth connection by streaming some music etc and comparing that with Marta's test voice.

An interesting experiment will be to turn off the ANR and see if that makes any difference.

Cheers,

Paul

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search