Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

TOD etc. in pilot log

Author
m
Too Much Forum (64 reputation)Too Much Forum (64 reputation)Too Much Forum (64 reputation)Too Much Forum (64 reputation)Too Much Forum (64 reputation)Too Much Forum (64 reputation)Too Much Forum (64 reputation)Too Much Forum (64 reputation)Too Much Forum (64 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello!
When changing the cruise altitude at waypoints, Skydemon offers the possibility to select whether the altitude change should be executed before or after the waypoint; the virtual radar view is adapted accordingly. The pilot log, however, does not show this information.
I would appreciate if the information whether an altitude change should be initiated either before or at a waypoint would be included into the pilot log. A simple possibility to do so  would be to write TOC/BOC/TOD/BOD* behind waypoints where the altitude is changed. This would not introduce new waypoints and legs into the pilot log (there was already some discussion about adding TOC/BOD waypoints to the flight log automatically).
Kind regards
Michael

* In addition to TOC/BOC/TOD/BOD, two additional notations would ne necessary for waypoints that are passed while climbing or descending. Such situations could arise when there is only a short distance between waypoints with altitude changes. - Maybe pictograms would be a better choice.

Edited 6/13/2021 10:59:46 AM by miaelch
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
If you are really in need of TOC/TOD as waypoints - most won't - you can always long tap on the denominator 'TOC' or 'TOD' in virtual radar to generate the waypoint by yourself.
miaelch
m
Too Much Forum (64 reputation)Too Much Forum (64 reputation)Too Much Forum (64 reputation)Too Much Forum (64 reputation)Too Much Forum (64 reputation)Too Much Forum (64 reputation)Too Much Forum (64 reputation)Too Much Forum (64 reputation)Too Much Forum (64 reputation)
I wasn't speaking about creating additional waypoints. It requires additional steps during the planning, adds more complexity to the pilot log than I think is necessary, and doesn't help for my intended purpose (when looking at the pilot log alone I still cannot see where to initiate the altitude change since these additional waypoints do not carry the information whether they are the BOC/TOC/TOD/BOD).

Thanks, anyway, for your hint.

Edited 6/13/2021 11:39:20 AM by miaelch
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
miaelch - 6/13/2021 10:48:37 AM
- Maybe pictograms would be a better choice.

Maybe a glance at the Virtual Radar from time to time would be all it takes?

miaelch
m
grahamb - 6/13/2021 12:08:27 PM

Yes, that would be a makeshift. But in my opinion, the pilot log should contain as much information as possible (as long as it doesn't get confusing, of course). With your argumentation, the altitudes, frequencies etc. etc. could also be omitted from the pilot log because they can be found somewhere else. If I print only a few pages on paper, it is the pilot log and not the virtual radar.

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
miaelch - 6/13/2021 12:17:46 PM
grahamb - 6/13/2021 12:08:27 PM

Yes, that would be a makeshift. But in my opinion, the pilot log should contain as much information as possible (as long as it doesn't get confusing, of course). With your argumentation, the altitudes, frequencies etc. etc. could also be omitted from the pilot log because they can be found somewhere else. If I print only a few pages on paper, it is the pilot log and not the virtual radar.

I'll admit I had assumed you'd be using SD in 'Go Flying' mode on a tablet or phone. 

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
I appreciate your desire to have that information on the pilot log, but I think it would add clutter that most people are not interested in. If many people would appreciate this addition we will of course consider doing the work though. In the meantime, since it is not our goal to put absolutely everything in the pilot log, it would be a good idea to check the Virtual Radar during flight. It's a tremendously powerful instrument and can be very helpful with vertical navigation.
Wolfgang Stüger
W
Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)
Hello!
When changing the cruise altitude at waypoints, Skydemon offers the possibility to select whether the altitude change should be executed before or after the waypoint; the virtual radar view is adapted accordingly. The pilot log, however, does not show this information.
I would appreciate if the information whether an altitude change should be initiated either before or at a waypoint would be included into the pilot log. A simple possibility to do so  would be to write TOC/BOC/TOD/BOD* behind waypoints where the altitude is changed. This would not introduce new waypoints and legs into the pilot log (there was already some discussion about adding TOC/BOD waypoints to the flight log automatically).
Kind regards
Michael

* In addition to TOC/BOC/TOD/BOD, two additional notations would ne necessary for waypoints that are passed while climbing or descending. Such situations could arise when there is only a short distance between waypoints with altitude changes. - Maybe pictograms would be a better choice.

Yes, it would be a big advantage to have BOC/TOC/TOD/BOD as visible automotive points on the route leg, corresponding with the radar view.
I fact these new visible points cannot be compared with standard waypoints, because waypoints are geographically fixed.
The discussed points must change position on leg automatically depending due to several flexible adapted parameters such as altitude level, climb/descent rate, TAS aso.
Kind regards, Wolfy

Edited 12/9/2021 11:00:42 PM by WOSTUE
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Wolfy, are you advocating showing these things on the PLOG, the main map, or both?
Wolfgang Stüger
W
Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)Junior Member (12 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 12/10/2021 10:15:54 AM
Wolfy, are you advocating showing these things on the PLOG, the main map, or both?

Hi Tim, I would propose - on both.
On PLOG - to have a complete list information and orientation concerning distances (time and way) for the preflight planning state. At this time, the points can be compared with fixed waypoints.
And on main map - on the one hand, to have the visual map-orientation during planning - and on the other hand, especially during flight as intelligent automotive points .
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search