Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Win10 Surface Go 2 and bluetooth GPS receiver

Author
E
Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, I'm looking to use a Surface Go 2 with SD, I've not yet bought one but I'd rather have a single laptop/tablet for both my flying and non-flying needs rather than two devices. The non-LTE Surface Go 2 does not have a GPS receiver however, does anyone have any experience using products like the Garmin GLO 2 with a Win10 device and SD? I see from a 2018 thread that there has been issues with this before as SD was looking for a COM port GPS device, but maybe there's been progress the past 3 years? Or has anyone been able to find another way to use non-GPS Windows devices with SD successfully?

I realise that the philosophy behind the SD Windows app may still be focused on planning rather than live navigation, but Windows tablets will only grow more and more common so I hope there's a practical solution available now or in the near future.

Thanks

Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)Too Much Forum (399 reputation)
Build a Stratux device that give you a GPS position as well as nearby traffic information. Everything is plug'n'play - no solder needed. It will cost you just a few pennies more compared to Garmin GLO 2:

Make sure to get a TTGO module with M8N gps, because it's also sold with older and less accurate 6M chip.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
The answer is that it will probably work, because SkyDemon on Windows now uses Windows Location Services by default. However, SkyDemon Plan is not designed for flying with, and contains only rudimentary moving-map services. Only our iOS and Android products are designed as full GPS navigation companions.
Eseem
E
Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)
Thanks. I've bought both, and they work well together. The GLO 2 creates COM ports which SD finds right away, for me I had to select the first "outgoing" COM listed in the Windows Blutooth Settings. I've also been able to successfully use apps on my Android device to do the same job, but that'll be a backup I think I'm unlikely to ever use.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search