SkyDemon Forums

Win10 Surface Go 2 and bluetooth GPS receiver

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic33527.aspx

By Eseem - 5/26/2021 3:45:52 PM

Hi, I'm looking to use a Surface Go 2 with SD, I've not yet bought one but I'd rather have a single laptop/tablet for both my flying and non-flying needs rather than two devices. The non-LTE Surface Go 2 does not have a GPS receiver however, does anyone have any experience using products like the Garmin GLO 2 with a Win10 device and SD? I see from a 2018 thread that there has been issues with this before as SD was looking for a COM port GPS device, but maybe there's been progress the past 3 years? Or has anyone been able to find another way to use non-GPS Windows devices with SD successfully?

I realise that the philosophy behind the SD Windows app may still be focused on planning rather than live navigation, but Windows tablets will only grow more and more common so I hope there's a practical solution available now or in the near future.

Thanks
By Eseem - 5/27/2021 8:14:32 PM

Thanks. I've bought both, and they work well together. The GLO 2 creates COM ports which SD finds right away, for me I had to select the first "outgoing" COM listed in the Windows Blutooth Settings. I've also been able to successfully use apps on my Android device to do the same job, but that'll be a backup I think I'm unlikely to ever use.