Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SkyDemon Airfield Plate - Integrity Check?

Author
R
Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
The SkyDemon plate for Home Farm Fields grass strip shows a length of 650 metres. Yet looking at the scale on the SD plate (which is for 200m) it is clear that Home Farm Fields is more like 400-420 metres - (this is also the length I get when measuring on Google Earth). I presume that the 650 metre length has come from another source (AFE Flight Guide?), but I wondered if SD could maybe include something that shows the SD measured distance based on the SD plate graphic as compared to the published distance as an additional piece of safety information. Particularly when there is such a large discrepancy? (PS I am in contact with the airfield owner to get this looked into as a published length of 650m for a 400/420m strip is a bit of a safety concern)
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)
It's true that the physical dimensions of a runway can be different to the declared dimensions but it isn't clear what we would be in a position to do about this. We publish the dimensions that are given to us; any measured dimensions apparent from the actual surfaces are not published.
Rogerthedodger
R
Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)Too Much Forum (926 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 4/8/2021 9:49:10 AM
It's true that the physical dimensions of a runway can be different to the declared dimensions but it isn't clear what we would be in a position to do about this. We publish the dimensions that are given to us; any measured dimensions apparent from the actual surfaces are not published.

Tim - out of interest you say the dimensions are given to you....may I ask who by? As I say I am taking up the discrepancy with the airfield owner. Thanks.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)
Most likely the airfield owner.
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
As far as I am aware of, all airfield data is in the responsibility of the airfield owner. We had this discussion on bad data several times and many tend to blame the NAA or the AIP publisher for the data, but in the end it was always the airfield owner responsibility. NAAs appear to not perform QA on data and do not check reported data.
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)
pilot-byom - 4/9/2021 11:01:55 AM
As far as I am aware of, all airfield data is in the responsibility of the airfield owner. We had this discussion on bad data several times and many tend to blame the NAA or the AIP publisher for the data, but in the end it was always the airfield owner responsibility. NAAs appear to not perform QA on data and do not check reported data.

We're talking about a grass strip here, the UK CAA will just not be interested.

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
grahamb - 4/9/2021 12:19:11 PM
We're talking about a grass strip here, the UK CAA will just not be interested.

I think you did not get the point - they give a s**t on any airfield information, it is the sole responsibility of the fields operator and to my knowledge any NAA does only collect and redistribute what they got without checking.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search