Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Italian FIS boundaries on the main map

Author
L
Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello everybody,
I can't find the Italian FIS boundaries on the main map, while I can see them in the virtual radar (see image below). I searched for a specific layer to enable, but I see no FIS or FIC references.
I feel I'm missing something somewhere, but I cannot find it. May you please help?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Andrea

blob:http://forums.skydemon.aero/588b0f99-8c24-4187-8c07-14bc0481dd9e

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
Lozzi - 1/27/2021 7:31:38 AM
Hello everybody,
I can't find the Italian FIS boundaries on the main map, while I can see them in the virtual radar (see image below). I searched for a specific layer to enable, but I see no FIS or FIC references.
I feel I'm missing something somewhere, but I cannot find it. May you please help?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Andrea

blob:http://forums.skydemon.aero/588b0f99-8c24-4187-8c07-14bc0481dd9e

I don’t believe SD shows FIS boundaries on the main chart for any country, not just Italy.

Edited 1/27/2021 12:40:13 PM by grahamb
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
Skydemon only shows FIR boundaries, as I recall, which is fine with me.
What do you believe would be a benefit for FIS boundaries on the map?
I'd say the use cases for FIS are all relevant when on the ground only.

Lozzi
L
Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)Forum Member (31 reputation)
grahamb, thanks for the information.
pilot-byom, the main benefit I see is the presence of a visual aid to change the radio frequency on the right time. When you're about to enter a controlled airspace, SD alerts you in the main map to be prepared to contact the right service with the related frequency. When you're about to change FIS, no alert and no visualization of the approaching boundary on the main map. Only a (correct, by the way) reference in the virtual radar, which, of course, is far less efficient (just for example, in the virtual radar the visual position of the boundary depends on your current heading).

Thanks.

Andrea.

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
Lozzi - 1/27/2021 1:54:57 PM
grahamb, thanks for the information.
pilot-byom, the main benefit I see is the presence of a visual aid to change the radio frequency on the right time. When you're about to enter a controlled airspace, SD alerts you in the main map to be prepared to contact the right service with the related frequency. When you're about to change FIS, no alert and no visualization of the approaching boundary on the main map. Only a (correct, by the way) reference in the virtual radar, which, of course, is far less efficient (just for example, in the virtual radar the visual position of the boundary depends on your current heading).

Thanks.

Andrea.

Don’t forget that the ‘Radio’ tab will always show time and distance to the next FIS frequency.

Edited 1/27/2021 3:12:59 PM by grahamb
Lozzi
L
grahamb - 1/27/2021 2:03:04 PM

Don’t forget that the ‘Radio’ tab will always show time and distance to the next FIS frequency.

You're right. I will take the 'Radio' tab more into consideration.
Anyway, I still think that a border on the main map, with related alerts - just as other controlled airspaces borders - will help (no need to open and close a tab, which can be annoying especially when the air is not calm).

Thanks a lot.

Andrea. 

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
Lozzi - 1/27/2021 1:54:57 PM
pilot-byom, the main benefit I see is the presence of a visual aid to change the radio frequency on the right time. 

No, it doesn't. Which ACC of FIS responsible for your current FIR to call may depend not only on your position, but also on your intentions. You may even find yourself in a certain FIR, but radio services for your flight execution is 'delegated' to an ACC of a FIS not even in your country, if close borders. When under FIS supervision you change when and to as advised from them anyways. If you just listen, you have to pull the FIS options from your thorough flight preparation, which may even include listening to several FIS in parallel, especially in Italy.

Edited 1/28/2021 9:43:36 AM by pilot-byom
Frans
Frans
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Exactly, FIS will tell you anyway when you need to change the frequency. The only important thing is to know the frequency for the initial call, and you can find it already easily in the radio tab. I would dislike further border lines in the charts just for FIS. The FIR-boundaries are enough.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
If we were ever to show FIS boundaries on the map, it would certainly be optional, and probably off by default. People are accustomed to seeing them because they're absolutely necessary on printed charts, but on a dynamic chart that supports interrogation like SkyDemon, there's no need for them to be shown all the time.
grahamb
grahamb
Something I’d forgotten about but have been reminded of on another forum, is that when you have the Radio tab open and touch one of the frequencies displayed, it will temporarily highlight the relevant service area on the main chart.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search