Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Size of Radar Traffic window

Author
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Can we please make the Traffic Radar window re-sizeable (on tablets)?

On Phones (e.g, iPhone) the Traffic Radar window can only be either full-screen, or fully off. On tablets on the other hand (iPad mini and larger), the Traffic Radar window is part of the Virtual Radar. It can be toggled between "very small" and a bit larger, but there is no option to have the Traffic Radar full screen.

Even if one could make the Traffic Radar full screen, this wouldn't work for many of us as we still very much need the Red/Yellow/Green alert rings representing bearingless TPX-C targets (which are exclusively displayed on the map, and cannot be displayed in the Traffic Radar window).

Like me, many pilots seem to start using two devices (e.g., two iPads) to make best use of the wonderful SD Traffic feature (making one tablet a dedicated Traffic display screen). In such scenarios it would be very nice if one could re-size the Traffic Radar window, using the usual 2-finger pinching method to enlarge this object (similar to the Direction Indicate, the virtual CDI, that can be re-sized and moved around on top of the map window).

T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)
TimT - 6/23/2019 1:33:03 PM
Can we please make the Traffic Radar window re-sizeable (on tablets)?

On Phones (e.g, iPhone) the Traffic Radar window can only be either full-screen, or fully off. On tablets on the other hand (iPad mini and larger), the Traffic Radar window is part of the Virtual Radar. It can be toggled between "very small" and a bit larger, but there is no option to have the Traffic Radar full screen.

Even if one could make the Traffic Radar full screen, this wouldn't work for many of us as we still very much need the Red/Yellow/Green alert rings representing bearingless TPX-C targets (which are exclusively displayed on the map, and cannot be displayed in the Traffic Radar window).

Like me, many pilots seem to start using two devices (e.g., two iPads) to make best use of the wonderful SD Traffic feature (making one tablet a dedicated Traffic display screen). In such scenarios it would be very nice if one could re-size the Traffic Radar window, using the usual 2-finger pinching method to enlarge this object (similar to the Direction Indicate, the virtual CDI, that can be re-sized and moved around on top of the map window).

Another thought is could the traffic display be built in to the HSI, a bit like the Big Boys do with their "Navigation Display"? This would show little more than the magenta line and turning points in the next few miles plus standard TCAS traffic symbols, and could be moved and resized as necessary.

As an aside, the full screen traffic mode fails to operate on many phones - you only get tablet-style functionality on the Galaxy S9, for example.

TimT
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
I like the idea to combine the Direction Indicator and the Traffic Radar into one, while maintaining the current features of the Direction Indicator (moveable, re-sizeable).
TimT
TimT
I am using the traffic feature and PilotAware for over six months now. I must say for me this is one of the most critical and most valuable features (on top of the list together with spoken airspace warnings) in SkyDemon. I don't leave the hangar without it! And this despite the fact that in my neck of the woods, almost no GA aircraft uses ADS-B. So most relevant traffic alerts emanate from bearingless TPX-C targets. 

Just because of this traffic feature I actually bought a second iPad for the cockpit. So while the primarily tablet on my lap runs the route planning and general obstacle and airspace awareness, the other table is dedicated to traffic display (positioned more in my line of sight, more zoomed in, map more decluttered, ...)

Based on my initial 6-months experience, the most wanted improvement needed here would be to be able to:
  1. Resize the Traffic Radar (over and above the current toggle option from micro to mini)
  2. Reposition the Traffic Radar window, e.g., as to not cover part of the Virtual Radar
  3. Being able to switch off the "maximise view ahead" feature (that allocates more screen real estate in the direction I am flying, and less to the area behind me). That doesn't make sense when looking at it exclusively from a traffic awareness perspective. My own aircraft should always be in the centre of the screen.
Sizing and reposition controls are already available within SkyDemon, for the Direction Indicator (HSI) feature. As T67M had pointed out above, the best idea would possibly be to integrate HSI and Traffic Radar into one "instrument".

Edited 12/14/2019 12:54:08 PM by TimT
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
I know that this thread is a bit long in the tooth now, but having recently started flying with a SkyEcho2, I can better appreciate what this thread is about and I would like to support this feature request for the option to be able to undock the traffic radar screen in a similar manner to the virtual HSI so as to be able to move it around the screen and resize it. If traffic radar could be combined with the HSI, as T67M suggests, that would be even better.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
I got hold of on old cheap phone and mount that on a sucker mount close to my eyeline as a dedicated full screen traffic display. It'll work without even being logged into SD, and therefore doesn't use up a device licence. For me, a much better solution than occupying too much screen estate on my nav tablet.
TimT
TimT
Grahamb, people have different preferences. What for you is "much better", might not work for others. I fully agree that using a second screen for traffic is ideal. However, if this second screen is an ipad mini or similar, you are again screwed, as you cannot make the traffic radar window big enough. 

So, yes, we would like this to be resizebale. Please note that even if resizeable, you could still use it 'your way'. Having this feature wouldn't do you any harm.

Peter Baier
Peter Baier
Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)
TimT - 6/27/2019 11:35:49 AM
I like the idea to combine the Direction Indicator and the Traffic Radar into one, while maintaining the current features of the Direction Indicator (moveable, re-sizeable).

I strongly support this idea! :-)

TimT
TimT
@TimD: Is there any chance that we get a freely resizable traffic radar window in future?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
I wouldn't rule it out, but it doesn't seem to be a very popular request.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search