Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Update issues

Author
derWessi
Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
here is a little issue with the SkyDemon Plan for window (and similar also on android) that often happens to me when I'm using SD after I had a few weeks of SD usage break.
When I start the windows application I usually first want to update the plates from my SD subscription. So I open the document browser and start downloading all airfield plates that have been updated in the meantime.
After some minutes or so of downloading, suddenly a message window pops up telling me that my county charts are no longer up to date and asking me to open the chart manager. If I follow this hint the chart manager opens and the ongoing download of plates gets interrupted. But before I can click any button in the chart manager window another pop-up message opens telling me that my planner version is outdated too and suggesting me to install the latest version. If I agree, SD Plan closes (If I remember correctly without asking me to save my current plan) and the new version installs. After restarting SD it takes again some time before the pop-up window for the outdated charts re-appears asking me to open the chart manager again.
So it's just a little issue, but it's quite annoying because it always interrupts my workflow.
I think it would be better, if SD would do the update checks directly after starting the application and not waiting for some minutes with the pop-ups. Also the check for new program versions should always happen before checking for new charts to not interrupt the chart update.
Also I would like to promote to implement a global update manager that takes care about necessary program/charts/subscriptions/AIP updates at a central place in the application. Also an auto updater function that automatically updates all outdated data in the background would be very useful in my opinion.

Kind Regards,
Andreas

Edited 9/17/2019 3:05:33 PM by derWessi
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)
Thanks for the feedback. We are gradually automating more and more things. SkyDemon now checks for both updates charts and software in the background, and will only alert you about one of them. In the next version of the PC software, we've removed the software update check from the chart update window because it's now redundant.

We are still thinking about fully automatic updates of charts. It's a nice idea but users generally like to stay informed about chart update status, and there's also a potential data usage issue while roaming.

WernerAir
W
Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)
Hi there!
I am having a problem with the update logic. I am currently at version 3.14.1 on my Windows PC, and yesterday I was alerted of an available update to version 3.14.5. I chose to install it later as I did not want to interrupt what I was doing, but unfortunately now the notification doesn't turn up again when I start SkyDemon, and there is no way to check for updates manually. So, the simple question is: How do I get it to update to the latest version?

Regards,
Christian

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
WernerAir - 11/29/2020 8:32:10 AM
Hi there!
I am having a problem with the update logic. I am currently at version 3.14.1 on my Windows PC, and yesterday I was alerted of an available update to version 3.14.5. I chose to install it later as I did not want to interrupt what I was doing, but unfortunately now the notification doesn't turn up again when I start SkyDemon, and there is no way to check for updates manually. So, the simple question is: How do I get it to update to the latest version?

Regards,
Christian

Go to:
Click on the link "Show Download Information" then click on the link "Download SkyDemon for Windows"

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

WernerAir
W
Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)
Sky Painter - 11/29/2020 11:24:50 AM
WernerAir - 11/29/2020 8:32:10 AM
Hi there!

Regards,
Christian

Go to:
Click on the link "Show Download Information" then click on the link "Download SkyDemon for Windows"

Thanks for the tip and the link. I was afraid a new install would completely reset all my preferences, but it turns out it automatically updates if an installation is already present, so everything is as it should be. Problem solved, then.
Again: many thanks!

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)
I think a 'Check for updates' option on the Help menu would be a nicer way to do it.
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
grahamb - 11/29/2020 4:21:34 PM
I think a 'Check for updates' option on the Help menu would be a nicer way to do it.

Yep! That gets my vote.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search