SkyDemon Forums

Update issues

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic29418.aspx

By derWessi - 9/17/2019 3:04:35 PM

Hi,
here is a little issue with the SkyDemon Plan for window (and similar also on android) that often happens to me when I'm using SD after I had a few weeks of SD usage break.
When I start the windows application I usually first want to update the plates from my SD subscription. So I open the document browser and start downloading all airfield plates that have been updated in the meantime.
After some minutes or so of downloading, suddenly a message window pops up telling me that my county charts are no longer up to date and asking me to open the chart manager. If I follow this hint the chart manager opens and the ongoing download of plates gets interrupted. But before I can click any button in the chart manager window another pop-up message opens telling me that my planner version is outdated too and suggesting me to install the latest version. If I agree, SD Plan closes (If I remember correctly without asking me to save my current plan) and the new version installs. After restarting SD it takes again some time before the pop-up window for the outdated charts re-appears asking me to open the chart manager again.
So it's just a little issue, but it's quite annoying because it always interrupts my workflow.
I think it would be better, if SD would do the update checks directly after starting the application and not waiting for some minutes with the pop-ups. Also the check for new program versions should always happen before checking for new charts to not interrupt the chart update.
Also I would like to promote to implement a global update manager that takes care about necessary program/charts/subscriptions/AIP updates at a central place in the application. Also an auto updater function that automatically updates all outdated data in the background would be very useful in my opinion.

Kind Regards,
Andreas

By Sky Painter - 11/29/2020 7:34:08 PM

grahamb - 11/29/2020 4:21:34 PM
I think a 'Check for updates' option on the Help menu would be a nicer way to do it.

Yep! That gets my vote.