Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Possible Defect: correct calculation of MSA for legs to account for fly/over/fly by and starting and...

Possible Defect: correct calculation of MSA for legs to account for...
Author
p
Too Much Forum (113 reputation)Too Much Forum (113 reputation)Too Much Forum (113 reputation)Too Much Forum (113 reputation)Too Much Forum (113 reputation)Too Much Forum (113 reputation)Too Much Forum (113 reputation)Too Much Forum (113 reputation)Too Much Forum (113 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm posting this on behalf of members of PPL/IR Europe
https://pplir.org/

We have been promoting the use of SD as a useful tool for our members and many of us are loyal users.
We have had a good discussion on the PPL/IR Forum about SD. On the back of this we have collated some feature requests we'd like to raise for consideration
I've raised each one in it's own thread to aid Tim Dawson and the SD team to aid/triage them, but include a link below to the key ones we have raised

Ok so so far we have, in order of priority raised:

* Clearer means of user knowing if VFR or IFR flight rules have been used for purposes of MSA and NOTAMs.
(http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic32054.aspx?Update=1)
* Possible Defect: correct calculation of MSA for legs to account for fly/over/fly by and starting and end points
(This Thread)
* Allow for built-in Jepp subscription
* Feature Request: Make PLOG better / more Customisable for IFR eg space for notes,clearances and alignment of Nav aids/frequencies to legs

----------------------------------------

This thread covers

* Possible Defect: correct calculation of MSA for legs to account for fly/over/fly by
My top idea would be correct computation of minimum safe altitudes. SD sees to be doing it wrong

As it is, obstacles before and after the route will be ignored, even if they are within the specified distance from the route end. If there is a turn of more than 90° at a waypoint, then obstacles on the outside of the turn will be ignored if they are before or after the ends of the two legs.

There can literally be an obstacle thousands of feet above everything else 1 m from the waypoint and SD will not consider it when computing the MSA.

Oringally waypoints outside any turn were ignored, but a partial fix for turns <90° was made.

Btw, this is relevant for night VFR as well as, according to SERA, minimum altitudes for night VFR are computed the same as for IFR.

lhe
lhe
Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)
I also would like to see SkyDemon do this calculation correctly.

The MSA should be calculated considering obstacles and terrain at the configured distance from every point in the route in every direction.

So if you have a route like the magenta line, obstacles should be checked in the blue area.

blob:http://forums.skydemon.aero/22eab833-250c-47b7-abc5-f86ece94e7d4

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
I recall there was a discussion a longer time ago on MSA calculation changes and there was a reason why Skydemon does now as is noticed. Wasn't there some issue with VFR turn point navigation and ground clearance? Maybe somebody still has the link to the old thread, could not find it in the first place.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
Can you give an example route where you observe this happening, please?

SkyDemon does look for obstacles in the "circles" around turns.

pauls
p
Too Much Forum (113 reputation)Too Much Forum (113 reputation)Too Much Forum (113 reputation)Too Much Forum (113 reputation)Too Much Forum (113 reputation)Too Much Forum (113 reputation)Too Much Forum (113 reputation)Too Much Forum (113 reputation)Too Much Forum (113 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 9/7/2020 10:02:46 AM
Can you give an example route where you observe this happening, please?

SkyDemon does look for obstacles in the "circles" around turns.

I'll check with the PPL/IR members that raised this - they're based on the continent near the alps! 

However I had a quick play: try

Humberside -> OTR -> Binbrook (town) -> Humberside

There's a mast south of Binrbook which isn't used in the MSA calc (distance 3.4nm)

lhe
lhe
Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)
pauls - 9/7/2020 11:10:19 AM
However I had a quick play: try

Humberside -> OTR -> Binbrook (town) -> Humberside

There's a mast south of Binrbook which isn't used in the MSA calc (distance 3.4nm)

That's a good example.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
It isn't, because that mast is more than 5nm from Binbrook and 5nm is the default setting for clearance from obstacles (for MSA purposes). If I change my preference to 6nm then the mast is taken account of.
pauls
p
Tim Dawson - 9/8/2020 8:53:24 AM
It isn't, because that mast is more than 5nm from Binbrook and 5nm is the default setting for clearance from obstacles (for MSA purposes). If I change my preference to 6nm then the mast is taken account of.

Tim i i stand correct it's 04nm outside the 5nm radius.

Let me check with the other members that raised the issue and I'll come back to you

lhe
lhe
Try this:

Create a route from Sundbro (ESKC) airport, ESE to Skölsta (town), then NNW to STORVRETA VRP.

There is an 874' antenna approximately 1.7 NM SE of Skölsta. The MSA for both route legs is given as 1600'.

My settings for obstruction clearance is 10 NM horizontally, 1000 feet vertically.

lhe
lhe
lhe - 9/8/2020 11:03:36 AM
Try this:

Create a route from Sundbro (ESKC) airport, ESE to Skölsta (town), then NNW to STORVRETA VRP.

There is an 874' antenna approximately 1.7 NM SE of Skölsta. The MSA for both route legs is given as 1600'.

My settings for obstruction clearance is 10 NM horizontally, 1000 feet vertically.

We've just discovered that if you reverse direction, then SkyDemon will correctly give a 1900' MSA! So there must be some bug here.

Edited 9/8/2020 2:04:13 PM by lhe
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search