Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Reporting points / FIR boundary

Author
c
Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

Is it possible to show Airways Reporting Points but only at the FIR boundary? It would be useful for example when crossing the Channel to have the usual reporting points (RINTI, etc.) visible without having to show all of the others.

Many thanks
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
cjrpaterson - 8/19/2020 6:36:00 AM
Hello,Is it possible to show Airways Reporting Points but only at the FIR boundary? It would be useful for example when crossing the Channel to have the usual reporting points (RINTI, etc.) visible without having to show all of the others. Many thanks

If you have done your flight preparation properly and for a channel crossing you have to have it anyways as it requires a flight plan + GAR + , you have a magenta line to follow, your reporting point as part of the route always on the map and the information next waypoint <name> in suchandsuch miles. Why would you want to have the other waypoints visible when they are not relevant to your flight?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)
It's an interesting suggestion but quite niche, I am not sure it would be worth an option in the mapping layers screen.
cjrpaterson
c
Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)
pilot-byom - 8/19/2020 6:50:36 AM
If you have done your flight preparation properly and for a channel crossing you have to have it anyways as it requires a flight plan + GAR + , you have a magenta line to follow, your reporting point as part of the route always on the map and the information next waypoint <name> in suchandsuch miles. Why would you want to have the other waypoints visible when they are not relevant to your flight?

Situational awardness; the same reason that I like to see airfields, obstacles, VRPs, etc. which are close to but not on my magenta line. E.g. if a pilot travelling in the opposite direction reports GARMI and I'm approaching ODREP, it helps to know where they are. But the solution is just to leave Airways Reporting Points turned on, so not exactly a hardship!

Tim Dawson - 8/19/2020 8:04:07 AM
It's an interesting suggestion but quite niche, I am not sure it would be worth an option in the mapping layers screen.

Thanks Tim, that's fair. I'd make the suggestion of automatically showing reporting points within {X} miles of your route when crossing a boundary, but I fear that's even more niche BigGrin

jfw
jfw
Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)
A possible work-around is not to snap to airways but use DCT in your route and put the reporting points you want in it.
Obviously if you use SD to submit your flightplan there will be no reference to the used airways....unless you prepare your journey twice (once with airways and once with DCT between WPT)

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)
cjrpaterson - 8/19/2020 8:53:01 AM
pilot-byom - 8/19/2020 6:50:36 AM

Situational awardness; the same reason that I like to see airfields, obstacles, VRPs, etc. which are close to but not on my magenta line. E.g. if a pilot travelling in the opposite direction reports GARMI and I'm approaching ODREP, it helps to know where they are. But the solution is just to leave Airways Reporting Points turned on, so not exactly a hardship!

Tim Dawson - 8/19/2020 8:04:07 AM

Thanks Tim, that's fair. I'd make the suggestion of automatically showing reporting points within {X} miles of your route when crossing a boundary, but I fear that's even more niche BigGrin

You could always create your own user waypoints over the top of any of the common FIR boundary IFR points.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search