SkyDemon Forums

Reporting points / FIR boundary

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic31897.aspx

By cjrpaterson - 8/19/2020 6:36:00 AM

Hello,

Is it possible to show Airways Reporting Points but only at the FIR boundary? It would be useful for example when crossing the Channel to have the usual reporting points (RINTI, etc.) visible without having to show all of the others.

Many thanks
By grahamb - 8/19/2020 1:12:27 PM

cjrpaterson - 8/19/2020 8:53:01 AM
pilot-byom - 8/19/2020 6:50:36 AM
If you have done your flight preparation properly and for a channel crossing you have to have it anyways as it requires a flight plan + GAR + , you have a magenta line to follow, your reporting point as part of the route always on the map and the information next waypoint <name> in suchandsuch miles. Why would you want to have the other waypoints visible when they are not relevant to your flight?

Situational awardness; the same reason that I like to see airfields, obstacles, VRPs, etc. which are close to but not on my magenta line. E.g. if a pilot travelling in the opposite direction reports GARMI and I'm approaching ODREP, it helps to know where they are. But the solution is just to leave Airways Reporting Points turned on, so not exactly a hardship!

Tim Dawson - 8/19/2020 8:04:07 AM
It's an interesting suggestion but quite niche, I am not sure it would be worth an option in the mapping layers screen.

Thanks Tim, that's fair. I'd make the suggestion of automatically showing reporting points within {X} miles of your route when crossing a boundary, but I fear that's even more niche BigGrin

You could always create your own user waypoints over the top of any of the common FIR boundary IFR points.