Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

PLOG data customization ?

Author
F
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello everybody,

Hello everybody,

I'm a new pilot and recent Skydemon user. So I discover the Skydemon and I must admit that it is currently quite confusing for me (in comparison to the way I was taught to prepare a NAV LOG).
I have a question : Is it possible to customize data in the PLOG ?
For example, I'm very surprised with RNav data. It seems I can't choose the VOR and I can't understand VOR choice made by SD. 
SD choose very far VOR instead of nearest. So I'd appreciate to be able to customize this PLOG field.
Same concern with additional points on route. If I append a point on the route (not on a city, airport, VOR...), it appears with its coordinates in the PLOG. It is not very readable. I'd would appreciate to customize these additional points with a clear understandable name.
Is it possible to customize these fields in PLOG ? If it is possible, how should I proceed because I did not find how to do it.

Thanks for your help

Frederic

chrisn
c
Too Much Forum (248 reputation)Too Much Forum (248 reputation)Too Much Forum (248 reputation)Too Much Forum (248 reputation)Too Much Forum (248 reputation)Too Much Forum (248 reputation)Too Much Forum (248 reputation)Too Much Forum (248 reputation)Too Much Forum (248 reputation)
Fred28 - 6/4/2020 6:17:16 PM
Hello everybody,

Hello everybody,

I'm a new pilot and recent Skydemon user. So I discover the Skydemon and I must admit that it is currently quite confusing for me (in comparison to the way I was taught to prepare a NAV LOG).
I have a question : Is it possible to customize data in the PLOG ?
For example, I'm very surprised with RNav data. It seems I can't choose the VOR and I can't understand VOR choice made by SD. 
SD choose very far VOR instead of nearest. So I'd appreciate to be able to customize this PLOG field.
Same concern with additional points on route. If I append a point on the route (not on a city, airport, VOR...), it appears with its coordinates in the PLOG. It is not very readable. I'd would appreciate to customize these additional points with a clear understandable name.
Is it possible to customize these fields in PLOG ? If it is possible, how should I proceed because I did not find how to do it.

Thanks for your help

Frederic

When dragging the points on the map, you can 'stick' them to a city / town. If there's nothing on the map, you can create your own navpoint. For these points, the plog shows those points.

In the plog view, you can go to settings (at least on pc, but there's also a way to do it on mobile), and you can turn off the rnav column. I have no idea if there's a way to choose other VORs. I did learn from the (excellent) user manual, that you can create a 'relative bearing' navpoint (e.g. SUL VOR radial 045 10 miles), and then use that in your routing. Maybe that helps.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)
Not many people use the RNav functionality these days given GPS, we sometimes forget that SkyDemon even has this option. You may find you do not actually use it post training. That said, there is no way to customize which VOR SkyDemon picks for a turning point on your route. I believe it just picks the closest one. If you find an example where you think SkyDemon has chosen poorly, do point it out here and we can look into it for you.
Fred28
F
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)
Hello 

@Chrisn : Thanks. I will have a look on 'Relative bearing' functionnality. I missed this functionnality when I read user manual. But not really sure it is what I am looking for.

@Tim : I agree that with GPS, it is not really useful to have RNav information. But I always prepar this information in case of Ipad issue (battery out of power, overheating, etc.) during flight. 
I already had this kind of issue during a flight and was very happy to have printed a paper PLOG (with customized Rnav information) to continue my flight safely.

Please find this example to illustrate my question 
In blue circles : VOR choosen by SD is EPR that is about 30 Nm far. Why not choose EVX ou ROU that are closer (only 5Nm far for EVX)
In red circles  : LFOP, S and W are only 15 Nm far from ROU and clearly mentioned on VAC chart with ROU reference. So I'm surprise to see that the VOR selected is LGL (about 40 Nm far).

pgroell
pgroell
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)

May be because LGL and EPR are VOR/DME whereas ROU and EVX are only VOR (but EVX has a TACAN working on the VOR frequency !).
Making some tests on other routes shows that SD prefers VOR/DME over VOR.

adhawkins
adhawkins
Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)
pgroell - 6/5/2020 2:51:01 PM

May be because LGL and EPR are VOR/DME whereas ROU and EVX are only VOR (but EVX has a TACAN working on the VOR frequency !).
Making some tests on other routes shows that SD prefers VOR/DME over VOR.

That would make sense to me, as you can't (easily) measure your distance from a VOR that doesn't have a co-located DME...

Andy

pgroell
pgroell
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)

Yes , but lots of GA planes don't have a DME receiver.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)SkyDemon Team (618K reputation)
What use is a bearing and distance from a VOR (only) when you can't actually measure your distance from it? I thought RNav was originally a system that depended on paired VOR/DMEs. That's (I believe) why SkyDemon only accepts paired VOR/DMEs.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search