Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Would you be interested in Traffic and Weather all at the same time on Skydemon or other EFBs?

Would you be interested in Traffic and Weather all at the same time on...
Poll
Would you be interested in Traffic and Weather all at the same time on Skydemon or other EFBs?

Author
m
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
If a device could produce the following would you like to see it all in Skydemon at the same time? 

• GPS Location
  • Traffic:
    • P3I: from PilotAware equipped aircraft.
    • ADS-B: from an ADS-B Out transponder
    • Mode-C: from a Mode C transponder
    • Mode-S: from a Mode S transponder
    • FLARM*: From a FLARM transceiver*When in range of an OGN-R transceiver
  • Weather:
    • Radar Weather (cloud and rainfall)
    • METARs
    • TAFs

And can do the following in an companion App on the same tablet

• Weather:
    • Other data such as Lighetning, Infrared
  • Communications:
    • Onboard SMS and Email

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
I don't understand the poll. All this is already delivered by using a current cellular iPad plus a traffic box of your choice and not only by Skydemon, but by virtually all respective moving map software.
marioair
m
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
You have cellular reception wherever you fly? Are you sure you actually take off? Smile
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
marioair - 5/28/2020 7:06:39 PM
You have cellular reception wherever you fly? Are you sure you actually take off? Smile

Since the LTE transition mobile data reception is good for most phases of any VFR flights in Europe with a decent phone.

marioair
m
I’m based in the UK and there’s no signal below about 2000ft generallly.
I see the same in Western Europe.

pilot-byom
p
marioair - 5/29/2020 6:58:14 AM
I’m based in the UK and there’s no signal below about 2000ft generallly. I see the same in Western Europe.

The new LTE antenna provide data connection in continental Europe mostly up to about 3,500ft quite reliably; 5,000ft sufficient; 8,000ft occasional. Yes, voice often stops between 2,000 and 3,500ft, but the modern multi array antennas for data reach much further. That is one of the reasons they discuss further systems based on internet connections. I know in the UK it can be challenging, but looking at the logs 2,500ft never was a real issue in Southern UK. Going up North is a different story, indeed.
Edited 5/29/2020 7:44:11 AM by MarkusM
marioair
m
MarkusM - 5/29/2020 7:30:48 AM
marioair - 5/29/2020 6:58:14 AM
I’m based in the UK and there’s no signal below about 2000ft generallly. I see the same in Western Europe.

The new LTE antenna provide data connection in continental Europe mostly up to about 3,500ft quite reliably; 5,000ft sufficient; 8,000ft occasional. Yes, voice often stops between 2,000 and 3,500ft, but the modern multi array antennas for data reach much further. That is one of the reasons they discuss further systems based on internet connections. I know in the UK it can be challenging, but looking at the logs 2,500ft never was a real issue in Southern UK. Going up North is a different story, indeed.

The north of england has always struggled in many realms of life! 

5000ft is no good if you're flying airways.

Yes the trend is for moving away from satellite based weather to either VHF or LTE/Cellular. There will still be a need however for
  • a performant/compressed way of getting data and also skydemon still needs to be able to display it. 
  • Given the is a SD thread - if SD natively isnt offering a reliable means of getting weather data (by this I mean radar) then you need an external feed, even if that's using another app on the device using the LTE connection. I've made another request for Tim to consider either
  • Allowing extension of GDL format to allow for this (so we don't lose other aspects of traffic listed in original post) or
  • Allowing concurrent consumption of GDL and Flarm or
  • Some other suggestion from Tim! 

pilot-byom
p
If I am flying airways, I am flying controlled and don't need an electronic gimmick. The only thing I see for an extension of Skydemon capability is a configurable interface to connect to other IP devices in the cockpit, but no need at all for anything boxy additional. When flying long distance I use a satellite telephone and its slow net connection, but also - no additional Euro-Collector box needed.
marioair
m
MarkusM - 5/29/2020 11:55:22 AM
If I am flying airways, I am flying controlled and don't need an electronic gimmick. The only thing I see for an extension of Skydemon capability is a configurable interface to connect to other IP devices in the cockpit, but no need at all for anything boxy additional. When flying long distance I use a satellite telephone and its slow net connection, but also - no additional Euro-Collector box needed.

MarkusM agree with you but you're conflating two threads

There's a request for SD to allow concurrent consumption of GDL & Flarm OR to allow extension of GDL so that it can carry the full spread of traffic data sources AND weather concurrently. Seems like we are all in violent agreement that that's a good idea. In your example it sounds like you have the data sources already.

In terms of airways flight, hopefully Cellular reception will get better or UAT/FIS-B etc comes along. In the mean time we are stuck with Satellite if you are needing data. The value proposition is rather than having a "box" to do each thing you have a single box, single set of cables etc etc. 

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Mario, just to clarify, are you proposing to bring the device in your original post to market?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search