Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Approach selection resets following external GPS connection loss

Author
DaveWhite
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
SkyDemon v3.13.3
I am using an external GPS source (SkyEcho2) connected to a Samsung Galaxy Tab A via wifi.

I sometimes experience temporary (5-15 second) GPS signal loss, which I suspect is a tablet issue and am investigating further - the purpose of this post is to describe SkyDemon behaviour when that happens and an approach has been selected for a destination airfield.

When the external GPS signal drops out and returns, SD behaves mostly as expected and a seamless re-connection occurs (depending on the length of dropout I see the message counting number of seconds without a signal until reconnection).

However, if an approach has been selected, the selected approach is lost at this stage, and needs to be re-selected as though for the first time.

This is a slight annoyance but it would be good if SD could retain the selected approach following an interruption of GPS signal reception.  Is that a simple fix? 

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Can you confirm this is an approach you've explicitly selected, from the Airfield Brief at the bottom right? Presumably a standard VFR circuit join approach?
DaveWhite
DaveWhite
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
Yes, that's right.  In my most recent experience, I was approaching Turweston and selected the 27RH approach. 

I had a GPS connection dropout (SkyDemon alert banner showing without signal for >10 seconds and counting up).  The signal returned after est. 12 seconds and all Navigation was then as before - except that the approach sub-window had reverted to "Select Approach"

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Unfortunately this isn't going to be something we can address in the short term. There are a number of situations where the approach can be reset and we need to fully reproduce your situation to be sure of which one we are addressing, and its potential side-effects. We will come back to it in a few weeks.
DaveWhite
DaveWhite
Thanks,Tim. I don't think it's more than a relatively minor annoyance when it happens and doesn't appear to happen for everybody anyway. Resolution in a few weeks sounds good.

Would any data from the Turweston flight be of use to aid in an investigation to reproduce?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
No thanks, we just need to set up an environment with an appropriate hardware device I think.
Francoisvl
Francoisvl
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Hi there - I have the same problem when practising using Prepar3d - the GPS keeps disconnecting, and SkyDemon forgets the approach. Not sure what the best way to connect SkyDemon to Prepar3d is but the 'x-plane' way does not work well. The virtual radar also keeps resetting and dropping out. Is there a preferred/tested way of using Prepar3d to practise flights connected to SkyDemon?
Cheers in advance for any advice. 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search