Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Displaying Traffic Radar Screen on Smartphones

Author
Peter Robertson
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Tim / All,

I have been trying to help with a query over on the PilotAware Forum regarding non-appearance of the SD Traffic Radar Screen on a customer's display device (device type not yet reported). This brought up two issues from a 3rd Party on the PAW Forum:

1. The suggestion that the Traffic Radar Display only appears after SD receives traffic info from PAW. 

2. The possibility of showing the Traffic Radar window 'full screen' on a smartphone.

In my initial reply, I suggested that the Traffic Radar should appear automatically but only after selecting 'Go Flying - Use PilotAware' and 'taking off' (or at least moving 'off-blocks') - irrespective of the presence of any traffic at that time. Can you please confirm which (if either) is correct.

I also pointed out that the behaviour experienced by the user might be 'normal' if the device is a small smartphone (and asked the customer to identify the type of device involved). I pointed out that IIRC (though not stated in the SD Manual) the option to display the Traffic Radar in 'Full Screen' is only available to iPhone users. Can you please confirm if this is still the correct current position.

In passing BTW, I also note that the Manual says that ...

'If you are using a traffic receiver to display other traffic in SkyDemon, you'll see a Traffic radar in the bottom left-hand of the screen on your tablet or large smartphone....' 
This should surely say 'bottom right-hand' - or at least it is on all of my devices.

Best Regards

Peter

Edited 12/29/2019 12:50:29 PM by Peter Robertson
TimT
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Ad 1) The traffic radar window only pops up once PAW receives specific traffic. This behavior is regardless of device.

Ad 2). On smart phone it can only do full screen. On tablets the traffic radar cannot be full screen at all. It can only be that small window in the bottom right corner. It can be changed from “very small” to “small”; however it cannot be freely sized, or freely positioned, or made full-screen.

Both topics I had brought up before in this Forum (as Suggestions” for improvement).
Peter Robertson
Peter Robertson
@TimT,

The first part of your Ad 2) is definitely not correct - at least not for all smartphones. I am as I write this running the standard SD display on my Samsung Galaxy S5 off my Rosetta, complete with both the horizontal Virtual Radar and the Traffic Radar screens along the bottom of the chart display. This works in exactly the same way as you describe above on a tablet (i.e. the Traffic Radar can be enlarged and returned to its original size by tapping, but not made full screen) and operates the same irrespective of whether the phone is orientated in landscape or portrait mode.

Regards

Peter

Edited 12/29/2019 10:23:56 PM by Peter Robertson
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)
I think the answer lies not in whether or not you can make a voice call over a device, but the size of its screen. 
Peter Robertson
Peter Robertson
@GrahamB,

I agree. The SD Manual certainly advises that the Traffic Radar ‘..might not be displayed on smaller (smartphone) screens’.

From reports on the PilotAware Forum, however, there seem to be significant anomalies and inconsistencies, with two SD users recently reporting that they have NEVER seen the Traffic Radar Screen on either tablet OR phone - one of whom hasn’t yet come back with their device type, whilst the second uses both an HTC One phone and a Huawei 8” tablet (both android) and a third who originally raised the ‘disappearance’ of the previously visible ‘Traffic Radar’ from his iPad over a year ago but hasn’t come back to say whether it was ever resolved (so I suspect it probably was).

Personally, whilst I get the Traffic Radar as expected on my mini iPad (2x different versions), and on both my android Nexus 7 tablet and Galaxy S5 phone (in either vertical OR horizontal orientation), I don’t get the ‘Traffic’ option on my ‘in flight menu’ (via the SD logo) to make the Traffic Radar ‘full screen’ on either android device or either of my mini iPads. As stated previously, I had simply put this down to the full screen option only being introduced for iPhones, not iPads or android devices, so not available on their menus, but at least one post over on the PAW forum apart from yours has cast doubt on this. I’m pretty sure it’s not a PilotAware or SD ‘fault’ as such, but it would be good to get clarification from the SD system designers as to what the current position is so we can try and work out what is going on.

Is this ‘designed performance’ - or could it be related to the version of android or how that is applied by the device manufacturers?

For the record, I personally am running the latest relevant android or iOS operating system on all my devices (Android 6.0.1 on the Nexus 7, and Galaxy S5 and iOs 12.4.4 on both iPad minis) and SD version 3.13.1.18421 on the Nexus, 3.11.1.19328 on the Galaxy S5 phone (deliberately held back for testing purposes) and 3.13.215 on both iPad minis.

Regards once again

Peter

BobD
BobD
Too Much Forum (517 reputation)Too Much Forum (517 reputation)Too Much Forum (517 reputation)Too Much Forum (517 reputation)Too Much Forum (517 reputation)Too Much Forum (517 reputation)Too Much Forum (517 reputation)Too Much Forum (517 reputation)Too Much Forum (517 reputation)
I'm the guy with the HTC One phone and 8" Huawei MediaPad  T3 tablet. The tablet is running Android 7.0
I can't recall ever seeing the Radar screen, and it certainly doesn't show in Simulation Mode. There is no Traffic option when tapping the SD bubble. GrahamB suggests it is possible to spawn traffic in Simulation mode, and have it show on the Radar screen, but I can't see how.
I hope to fly tomorrow with a Co-pilot, so I should have time to experiment on my tablet with PAW connected.
BobD

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)
Hi Bob,

To spawn traffic in simulation mode, just press and hold anywhere in the chart to display the ‘What’s Here’ pop up, and it’s an option there. You can spawn as many traffic targets as you like by repeating the process.

By pressing in a target once displayed, you’ll see it on the pop up menu as ‘Aircraft SKDx’. Pressing on that will display some options for modifying its flight characteristics.
Peter Robertson
Peter Robertson
Hi Bob,

Re the other part of your post, I have just run 3x simulations (without the tablet connected to PAW), one on my iPad and the others on my Android Nexus and Galaxy S5 phone. You can run the simulation after creating or opening a route, or if you just start simulation it runs a default flight near SD HQ.

As soon as I spawned an aircraft the SD Traffic Radar screen appears. I then created a couple more aircraft and dragged them into conflict with my own. They appear on the Traffic Radar Screen as soon as they get inside its range (about 3 miles), together with SD on-screen visual and audio alerts in all 3 cases.

Hope this helps

Regards

Peter
BobD
BobD
Too Much Forum (517 reputation)Too Much Forum (517 reputation)Too Much Forum (517 reputation)Too Much Forum (517 reputation)Too Much Forum (517 reputation)Too Much Forum (517 reputation)Too Much Forum (517 reputation)Too Much Forum (517 reputation)Too Much Forum (517 reputation)
Peter Robertson - 12/30/2019 7:39:42 PM
Hi Bob,Re the other part of your post, I have just run 3x simulations (without the tablet connected to PAW), one on my iPad and the others on my Android Nexus and Galaxy S5 phone. You can run the simulation after creating or opening a route, or if you just start simulation it runs a default flight near SD HQ.As soon as I spawned an aircraft the SD Traffic Radar screen appears. I then created a couple more aircraft and dragged them into conflict with my own. They appear on the Traffic Radar Screen as soon as they get inside its range (about 3 miles), together with SD on-screen visual and audio alerts in all 3 cases.Hope this helpsRegardsPeter

Peter/Graham, thanks for the instructions on how to spawn aircraft. I have now tried this in Simulation Mode on both my phone & tablet. 
On my phone, in normal Simulation Mode, the traffic option from the SD bubble doesn't appear, until I spawn another aircraft. When I do, tapping the traffic option takes me into a full screen radar display. 
On my tablet, when I spawn an aircraft in Simulation Mode, the small radar screen appears on the bottom RIGHT of the display. Tapping this gives me the option of a one-shot increase in display size.
Trevor, you could try this exercise on your devices to see if you get the same results.
I'll see if both of my devices react the same way in a live environment if/when I fly tomorrow. 
BobD

Peter Robertson
Peter Robertson
Hi again Bob,

I just tried running the simulation again on my phone (Galaxy S5 with android 6.0.1 and SkyDemon 3.11.1.19238). After spawning aircraft, the Traffic Radar Screen appears as normal (as I would expect), with the one-tap enlargement option but no ‘Traffic’ option on the drop-down menu from the SkyDemon logo.

I then (reluctantly*) updated SkyDemon to the latest android version 3.13.1.18421 to check if this was a SkyDemon version issue. On re-running the simulation, however, the results are exactly the same - still no ‘Traffic’ option on the drop-down menu from the SkyDemon logo.

I am about to head off to the airfield so will have another go in flight and let you know how I get on.

Best Regards

Peter

* The reason for my ‘reluctance’ is that for PilotAware testing purposes I have been trying to keep one each of my android and iOS devices running on a version of SkyDemon which still displays ambiguity circles for Mode-S 3D (MLAT) Aircraft and after a recent iOS system update, the App Store over-ruled my preference settings and updated SD on my second iPad, leaving my phone as the only device which would still display Ambiguity Circles on SkyDemon. Fortunately, with the recent significant improvements in PAW OGN-R this is no longer significant..
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search