Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Displaying Traffic Radar Screen on Smartphones

Author
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Peter Robertson - 12/31/2019 8:42:45 AM
Hi again Bob,I just tried running the simulation again on my phone (Galaxy S5 with android 6.0.1 and SkyDemon 3.11.1.19238). After spawning aircraft, the Traffic Radar Screen appears as normal (as I would expect), with the one-tap enlargement option but no ‘Traffic’ option on the drop-down menu from the SkyDemon logo.I then (reluctantly*) updated SkyDemon to the latest android version 3.13.1.18421 to check if this was a SkyDemon version issue. On re-running the simulation, however, the results are exactly the same - still no ‘Traffic’ option on the drop-down menu from the SkyDemon logo.I am about to head off to the airfield so will have another go in flight and let you know how I get on.Best RegardsPeter* The reason for my ‘reluctance’ is that for PilotAware testing purposes I have been trying to keep one each of my android and iOS devices running on a version of SkyDemon which still displays ambiguity circles for Mode-S 3D (MLAT) Aircraft and after a recent iOS system update, the App Store over-ruled my preference settings and updated SD on my second iPad, leaving my phone as the only device which would still display Ambiguity Circles on SkyDemon. Fortunately, with the recent significant improvements in PAW OGN-R this is no longer significant..

Peter,

You won’t get both the traffic display options on one device. It’s either-or.

Below a certain screen size you get the separate screen, above that you see the resizeable panel at the bottom of the main chart display.

Peter Robertson
Peter Robertson
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Hi Graham,

OK, that sounds logical, though a bit ‘hit or miss’ if you are looking for a phone to use as a full screen traffic display.

Hopefully SD will clarify (if they know the parameters).

Regards

Peter

p.s. nothing new to add from today’s flights.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)
You only get any options regarding traffic once your receiver has actually received some traffic.

Whether you get the option to display a full-screen traffic radar or an embedded traffic radar depends entirely upon the size of screen used. On Android we currently require the screen to be over 2.5 inches wide but that's not a documented value and could change at any time.

Peter Robertson
Peter Robertson
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the clarification. I will pass this on to the users who have been having issues.

Best Regards

Peter
TimT
TimT
Please remember that in traffic radar full screen you do not get warnings for bearing-less targets.
Peter Robertson
Peter Robertson
@TimT

Correct - if you are running Traffic Radar ‘full screen’ on a single small device.

In my experience, however, most users only run SD Traffic Radar ‘Full screen’ on a secondary device, so they can still use their primary device for navigation. In this case, you will still get visual alerts for Bearingless targets on your primary screen as long as you have this option selected in SD/Settings/Navigation Options.

You will also still get audio alerts for Bearingless targets if you are running the PilotAware Audio (or even better - both PAW and SD Audio through an audio mixer).

Regards

Peter
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search