SkyDemon Forums

Displaying Traffic Radar Screen on Smartphones

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic30026.aspx

By Exfirepro - 12/29/2019 10:14:50 AM

Hi Tim / All,

I have been trying to help with a query over on the PilotAware Forum regarding non-appearance of the SD Traffic Radar Screen on a customer's display device (device type not yet reported). This brought up two issues from a 3rd Party on the PAW Forum:

1. The suggestion that the Traffic Radar Display only appears after SD receives traffic info from PAW. 

2. The possibility of showing the Traffic Radar window 'full screen' on a smartphone.

In my initial reply, I suggested that the Traffic Radar should appear automatically but only after selecting 'Go Flying - Use PilotAware' and 'taking off' (or at least moving 'off-blocks') - irrespective of the presence of any traffic at that time. Can you please confirm which (if either) is correct.

I also pointed out that the behaviour experienced by the user might be 'normal' if the device is a small smartphone (and asked the customer to identify the type of device involved). I pointed out that IIRC (though not stated in the SD Manual) the option to display the Traffic Radar in 'Full Screen' is only available to iPhone users. Can you please confirm if this is still the correct current position.

In passing BTW, I also note that the Manual says that ...

'If you are using a traffic receiver to display other traffic in SkyDemon, you'll see a Traffic radar in the bottom left-hand of the screen on your tablet or large smartphone....' 
This should surely say 'bottom right-hand' - or at least it is on all of my devices.

Best Regards

Peter
By Exfirepro - 1/3/2020 11:11:23 PM

@TimT

Correct - if you are running Traffic Radar ‘full screen’ on a single small device.

In my experience, however, most users only run SD Traffic Radar ‘Full screen’ on a secondary device, so they can still use their primary device for navigation. In this case, you will still get visual alerts for Bearingless targets on your primary screen as long as you have this option selected in SD/Settings/Navigation Options.

You will also still get audio alerts for Bearingless targets if you are running the PilotAware Audio (or even better - both PAW and SD Audio through an audio mixer).

Regards

Peter