Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

New features: managing user waypoints using folders

Author
p
Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, some functions of the new feature of managing folder of user waypoints are not effective for the PC's new version of SD.
The interface is completly different than Android devices and with less possibility. e.g. You can't create a new folder with attribute "locked to this device", you can't change a folder "locked to this PC" to "folder eligible for Syncing", you can't export any folders, ....
Have you decided to limit the functions on a PC or have planned to develop similar fucntions on PC at later time ?
Patrick

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)
The next version of SkyDemon Plan includes the ability to toggle a folder between locked to the PC and eligible for syncing.
plume_tray
plume_tray
Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)
Tim

Just like to say thank you for the new waypoint syncing and folders features. Aside from the issues above, it's been a great improvement to my workflow and from what I read in the newsletter, sounds like it will get even better when auto sync comes online. Been waiting a long time for this. That's two more ticked off the wishlist. Thank you to the team for listening and investing the time on this.

Cheers
Mike S
M
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)
I've tried the waypoints feature, and it is really helpful - thank you.

I have also practised sharing waypoints between myself and a friend, and have the following comments to inform others, and to see if any future changes are being considered.

The sharing methodology differs between Windows and Android (and I believe, IOS).  Windows exports are at waypoint level, whilst Android are at folder level.  The Windows version also allows multiple selection of contiguous and non-contiguous waypoints, which also allows a folder to be exported simply by selecting all items in a folder. All of these options are good (although I can see multi-select could be complex to implement in the Android/IOS UIs).

On Android, Waypoints are shared at folder level, so in order to send a single waypoint, I have created a folder called "Transfer" as a temporary place for any waypoint(s) I want to share.  I then move my waypoint(s) to it, export, and move the item(s) back.  This works well enough, but is a bit of a workaround compared with an option just to export the one item.  Do you have any plans to enable the "Tools, Send by email" feature at waypoint level?

Another comment I have is that if one loads a file twice, it duplicated the waypoints.  Whilst that may be a strange thing to do, it can happen.  Options to change the behaviour, such as
    "Always add waypoints"
    "Update existing waypoint if name matches"
    "Create waypoint with subscript if name matches"
would be welcome,
Of course other may think that the match should be on Lat/Lon - I'm just making a request for comment RFC.

Thank you for what has already been done, and for considering my comments.

Mike S
M
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)
pat.lach.pil - 12/7/2019 9:10:24 AM
Hi, some functions of the new feature of managing folder of user waypoints are not effective for the PC's new version of SD.
The interface is completly different than Android devices and with less possibility. e.g. You can't create a new folder with attribute "locked to this device", you can't change a folder "locked to this PC" to "folder eligible for Syncing", you can't export any folders, ....
Have you decided to limit the functions on a PC or have planned to develop similar fucntions on PC at later time ?
Patrick

Folder export can be done by selecting all items in the folder (in the standard "Windows" way).  I have further comments in a post above which may be of interest.
Mike

Edited 12/9/2019 1:49:44 PM by Mike S
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)
Our main priority is keeping things simple, especially on our mobile software. PC user interfaces lend themselves more to complexity so a certain degree more fine control is available on that platform by design. You can even tinker with the raw waypoint files themselves on a PC. I wouldn't hold your breath for more fine-grained import/export/control of waypoints on our mobile software for the time being.
Johannes B.
J
Too Much Forum (272 reputation)Too Much Forum (272 reputation)Too Much Forum (272 reputation)Too Much Forum (272 reputation)Too Much Forum (272 reputation)Too Much Forum (272 reputation)Too Much Forum (272 reputation)Too Much Forum (272 reputation)Too Much Forum (272 reputation)
I am still trying to think of a use case for all these user waypoints, what do you need them for?

YouTube channel
Mike S
M
Johannes B. - 12/9/2019 4:54:05 PM
I am still trying to think of a use case for all these user waypoints, what do you need them for?

As a practical example, as I fly back to base, I  begin my descent over a prominent supermarket, and turn near a small radio telescope.

The PLOG can either have the following leg properties
N530442 W0023055
N530923 W0023209
Ashcroft (EGCR)
-- OR --
Sainsburys Nantwich
Pretend Jodrell Bank
Ashcroft (EGCR)

When I fly cross country, I make up names for most turning or check points, so my PLOG is readily readable, even by a non-pilot passenger.

Richard747
Richard747
Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)
Plase can we have an option to enter co-ordinates in the format printed on the IAIP charts accessible through the Instrument Plates tab e.g.

WAYPOINTS
DEKAP : 515637.28N 0005337.10W
DOTIT : 515304.01N 0005238.49W
TC03I : 515537.23N 0004542.18W
TC03F : 515825.61N 0004254.33W
RW03 : 520400.47N 0003719.28W

Ideally please can the SD database include the IAIP co-ordinates for all arrival and departure waypoints.
There are an increasing number of RNP approaches in uncontrolled airspace and it is helpful to visualise these, not only for flight planning but also to see how to avoid them.

In the above example I have used the new waypoint folders facility (thank you) to setup the waypoints for a particular airfield e.g. ‘EGTC RNP’. However selecting them from a database would be far higher integrity than manual entry, and even just being able to use the published format would still be an improvement.
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)
Richard,
You can enter waypoint coordinates in a variety of formats if you press ‘Touch here to type instead’ under the picker wheels on the detail entry form. 

I suspect the difficulty Tim may have in displaying approach waypoints is that they are not contained in ENR 4.4, but held in each of the individual airfield documents.  I suppose an option could be provided to display them automatically for an airfield that is selected as a departure, destination or alternate, but that would assume that the data is available in electronic form or readily extractable. 

Edited 12/26/2019 9:51:11 AM by grahamb
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search