Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Search Field in pdf-Reader on iOS

Author
S
Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

the German AIP contains a set of pdf files: One pdf for each plate of a particular airport - and one single 116 page document with the textual information for ALL German airports. It is pretty cumbersome (especially while flying) to navigate to one of the pages to look up the opening hours or the fuel availability for a specific airfield. My question: Would it be possible to add a text search function to the pdf reader to give the user a more convenient way to look up the airport information?

Thanks and best regards,

Jo

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
Not without writing our own PDF reader from scratch.

Are you aware that opening hours are in SkyDemon's own data, which means you do not have to trawl through that document?

Sergeij2000
S
Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)Forum Member (26 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 11/11/2019 12:18:15 PM
Not without writing our own PDF reader from scratch.

Are you aware that opening hours are in SkyDemon's own data, which means you do not have to trawl through that document?

Ah - ok. I had a conversation at your Aero 2019 booth and the guy (unfortunately i didn't write down the name) told me that i boils down to enable the search field in the pdf reader (at least safari allows to search in pdf files). Regarding the SkyDemon information: It doesn't show the complete information of the German AIP and contains sometimes errors.

Best regards,

Jo

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
That data is delivered to us by DFS directly so if you ever find an error, let us know and we will pass it on to them.
Sergeij2000
S
Tim Dawson - 11/12/2019 11:41:55 AM
That data is delivered to us by DFS directly so if you ever find an error, let us know and we will pass it on to them.

So i still have to look into the pdf file to recognise any error? When my home base EDAZ switched to a new 8.33 kHz frequency, SK showed the old frequency in 'landing information" for several weeks, whereas the AIP approach plate already contained the correct frequency. 

BTW: I work as a flight instructor at a flight school in the Berlin (Germany) area and our "throughput" is between 35 to 50 pilots per year. We usually recommend SK to our students for flight planning and execution, which probably generates around 20 to 30 new SK subscriptions per year (most are using Apple devices). While SK is a great planning tool i always have to remember the students that they are required to "ascertain by every reasonable means" that the information they use for planning is current and comes from verifiable sources. That is the reason i recommend to subscribe to the German AIP VFR and directly use the AD data and plates from the pdf (they carry a publication date) instead of solely relying on the SK landing information.

Best regards

Jo

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
Sergeij2000 - 11/12/2019 4:20:40 PM
Tim Dawson - 11/12/2019 11:41:55 AM

So i still have to look into the pdf file to recognise any error? When my home base EDAZ switched to a new 8.33 kHz frequency, SK showed the old frequency in 'landing information" for several weeks, whereas the AIP approach plate already contained the correct frequency. 

BTW: I work as a flight instructor at a flight school in the Berlin (Germany) area and our "throughput" is between 35 to 50 pilots per year. We usually recommend SK to our students for flight planning and execution, which probably generates around 20 to 30 new SK subscriptions per year (most are using Apple devices). While SK is a great planning tool i always have to remember the students that they are required to "ascertain by every reasonable means" that the information they use for planning is current and comes from verifiable sources. That is the reason i recommend to subscribe to the German AIP VFR and directly use the AD data and plates from the pdf (they carry a publication date) instead of solely relying on the SK landing information.

Best regards

Jo

The position appears to be - you pilots have to read the NOTAMs anyways and drawn pictures on a moving map navigational aid have no meaning, but are just decoration. If you don‘t believe, I‘ll let forward to you the messages. It comes down to the complete meaningless graphical information, especially if you face a German judge, and please do the favor to your students, teach to read the texts and forget all the fancy misleading aids on app basis. My opinion after taking quite some discussions.

Edited 11/12/2019 5:34:28 PM by MarkusM
Sergeij2000
S
MarkusM - 11/12/2019 5:32:19 PM
Sergeij2000 - 11/12/2019 4:20:40 PM

Best regards

Jo

The position appears to be - you pilots have to read the NOTAMs anyways and drawn pictures on a moving map navigational aid have no meaning, but are just decoration. If you don‘t believe, I‘ll let forward to you the messages. It comes down to the complete meaningless graphical information, especially if you face a German judge, and please do the favor to your students, teach to read the texts and forget all the fancy misleading aids on app basis. My opinion after taking quite some discussions.

If you read my post again, you might notice that i was not talking about "drawn pictures on a moving map" or "complete meaningless graphical information" - i was talking about FLIGHT PLANNING and the use of the subscribed Skydemon AIP VFR pdf documents (supplied by the DFS). These documents are following the AIRAC cycles and carry the publication date (like the pdfs supplied by the DFS via their Online AIP). We already had ramp checks by the BAF - and they had no problems with the usage of these plates. And regarding the NOTAMs: I always encourage my students to register a free account with DFS AIS and to pull the NOTAMs from their web site, as they are logging the time of access and the type of use, instead of relying on SK. Same with weather information, which should always be obtained through official channels like DWD or Meteomedia. 

Best regards
Jo 

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
It is a common misconception that weather or NOTAM information has to be obtained through any particular channel.

The data in SkyDemon (I assume when you say SK you are referring to SkyDemon) regarding opening hours and frequencies at German airports is supplied by DFS, at considerable cost, to help us compile our Germany chart. It too is dated, valid for the chart version you are using. That this data sometimes differs from their "paper" plates is clearly undesirable, but a side-effect of the way DFS compiles their data.

Both are "official" and they can sometimes differ. Make of that what you will; we live in an imperfect world.

Sergeij2000
S
Tim Dawson - 11/13/2019 11:06:32 AM
It is a common misconception that weather or NOTAM information has to be obtained through any particular channel.

The data in SkyDemon (I assume when you say SK you are referring to SkyDemon) regarding opening hours and frequencies at German airports is supplied by DFS, at considerable cost, to help us compile our Germany chart. It too is dated, valid for the chart version you are using. That this data sometimes differs from their "paper" plates is clearly undesirable, but a side-effect of the way DFS compiles their data.

Both are "official" and they can sometimes differ. Make of that what you will; we live in an imperfect world.
I may not have expressed myself correctly but my point is that you need to proof the validity of the information used for the flight preparation to the BAF inspector if you are running into a ramp check. And in our imperfect world here in Germany the easiest way to achieve that is to show the plates and textual information obtained through recognized channels, time stamped with the date of publication. All that is the case if i use the pdf data subscribed by the DFS through Skydemon but i have my doubts that the inspector will accept the information compiled into and shown in the Skydemon plates even if it comes directly from the DFS.

Anyway - i have to live with what i have - and i will forward the information that a text search for the iOS version can not be implemented to my students and fellow pilots.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards

Jo

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search