SkyDemon Forums

Search Field in pdf-Reader on iOS

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic29749.aspx

By Sergeij2000 - 11/11/2019 11:58:11 AM

Hello,

the German AIP contains a set of pdf files: One pdf for each plate of a particular airport - and one single 116 page document with the textual information for ALL German airports. It is pretty cumbersome (especially while flying) to navigate to one of the pages to look up the opening hours or the fuel availability for a specific airfield. My question: Would it be possible to add a text search function to the pdf reader to give the user a more convenient way to look up the airport information?

Thanks and best regards,

Jo
By Sergeij2000 - 11/13/2019 8:01:58 PM

Tim Dawson - 11/13/2019 11:06:32 AM
It is a common misconception that weather or NOTAM information has to be obtained through any particular channel.

The data in SkyDemon (I assume when you say SK you are referring to SkyDemon) regarding opening hours and frequencies at German airports is supplied by DFS, at considerable cost, to help us compile our Germany chart. It too is dated, valid for the chart version you are using. That this data sometimes differs from their "paper" plates is clearly undesirable, but a side-effect of the way DFS compiles their data.

Both are "official" and they can sometimes differ. Make of that what you will; we live in an imperfect world.
I may not have expressed myself correctly but my point is that you need to proof the validity of the information used for the flight preparation to the BAF inspector if you are running into a ramp check. And in our imperfect world here in Germany the easiest way to achieve that is to show the plates and textual information obtained through recognized channels, time stamped with the date of publication. All that is the case if i use the pdf data subscribed by the DFS through Skydemon but i have my doubts that the inspector will accept the information compiled into and shown in the Skydemon plates even if it comes directly from the DFS.

Anyway - i have to live with what i have - and i will forward the information that a text search for the iOS version can not be implemented to my students and fellow pilots.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards

Jo