Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Pilot log on the bottom of map screen (like PC version)

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am trying to help you here. SkyDemon has been around for nearly ten years, constantly evolving but with most people quite happy with the information displayed on the main screen, and the Pilot Log, if they should want it, being one touch away.

You want it on the main screen, I understand that. I'm trying to get you to tell us exactly what information you want to have visible all the time, because frankly I suspect the precise information you're interested in, is already visible in a useful way. When I ask you to tell us precisely what information you want to see, you appear to think it's sufficient to say "the pilot log" which isn't helpful.

m3duzas
m
Too Much Forum (560 reputation)Too Much Forum (560 reputation)Too Much Forum (560 reputation)Too Much Forum (560 reputation)Too Much Forum (560 reputation)Too Much Forum (560 reputation)Too Much Forum (560 reputation)Too Much Forum (560 reputation)Too Much Forum (560 reputation)
Ok, then I'll try to make it as clear as I can, maybe this will help.

Sir, can You add a route plan tab to mobile version with the same info visible as on SD PC version and same mechanism of switchnig between route plan and VR as on SD PC version?
Reason: The same as in SD PC version, to make it better to plan a route and follow it in the air. I like it on PC, I really wish to have it on mobile and it is important for me as a pilot (I use route plan all the time during flight).
Scope: similar as info visible on PC version, columns as below (but best if You leave it to user choice alike it is in pilot log):
From, To, Dist(nm), MSA, Level, Trk(M or T), Wind, HDG, GS, Time.

Sir, I understand that for 10 years nobody have asked for it but look it that way, You had a good idea when developiing PC version and I really try to understand why did You withhold from inserting this idea into mobile? My suggestion is both something You already programmed long time ago on PC and something that WON'T change mobile interface at all. Interface is very good, I like it and that is why I'm spending lots of $$ every year on it. And hey, who said to change anythinig serious in the interface? All functionalities will remain the same, there will be only additional tab, and I don't ask 100% of SD users to use it, but some people will and maybe they'll find it as usefull as I do.
Sir, the point is, I don't want to switch screens, I dislike it. The more screen switching and clicking the more app is complicated. As You say "one touch away", for me is two touches away, beacuse You have to return to map screen and simultaneously lose ability to follow map view. Maybe there are people who like lots of clicking and switching while flying, OK, their choice. But I don't. Have no time for it up there.

Unsure ehh, why are You Guys so conservative in adding any user interface facilitations concernig main screen anyway?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
Thank you for the explanation. The reason we did not bring that window across from the PC version to the mobile version is that hardly anybody uses it on the PC version; it's redundant. In fact we have given thought to removing it, on many occasions.

You asked why we are conservative. Good software has as simple a user interface as possible, and as few options as possible. Well-established and popular software such as SkyDemon is subject to an extremely conservative viewpoint on the notion of making changes, especially changes to the top-level user interface, as the proven view of the developers is that it isn't broken, so we shouldn't be trying to fix it.

Having said that, our users are very much in charge, and if a large volume of them all want something, it almost always gets done. Large in this case being at least 10% of people (in our estimation) and a fairly constant incoming barrage (for want of a better word) of suggestions all relating to it, whether on this forum on others, by telephone or email.

m3duzas
m
Too Much Forum (560 reputation)Too Much Forum (560 reputation)Too Much Forum (560 reputation)Too Much Forum (560 reputation)Too Much Forum (560 reputation)Too Much Forum (560 reputation)Too Much Forum (560 reputation)Too Much Forum (560 reputation)Too Much Forum (560 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 7/24/2019 3:37:53 PM
Thank you for the explanation. The reason we did not bring that window across from the PC version to the mobile version is that hardly anybody uses it on the PC version; it's redundant. In fact we have given thought to removing it, on many occasions.

You asked why we are conservative. Good software has as simple a user interface as possible, and as few options as possible. Well-established and popular software such as SkyDemon is subject to an extremely conservative viewpoint on the notion of making changes, especially changes to the top-level user interface, as the proven view of the developers is that it isn't broken, so we shouldn't be trying to fix it.

Having said that, our users are very much in charge, and if a large volume of them all want something, it almost always gets done. Large in this case being at least 10% of people (in our estimation) and a fairly constant incoming barrage (for want of a better word) of suggestions all relating to it, whether on this forum on others, by telephone or email.

I don't agree with You Tim. For REAL world pilots flight plan is saint. Unless you're not a pilot Tim (which I presume - so far You didn't answer my question), it can look redundant Smooooth  For Your reflection, I fly by the numbers and map, not by VR that is only a useful gadget.

Ok, I don't wanna argue........I have easier suggestion instead. Can You at least expand 'next point info' on a top of map screen?
Right now it is:    NEXT: <turn point name> ,
can it be:            NEXT: <turn point name> + <next turn HDG>
?
It is a very small change so I don't think it'll brake Your highly conservative approach on altering main map view.

Right now info about next turn (leg) heading is not sufficiently visible unless ofc You start clicking. Like I already said I don't wanna click. I want to see it all the time and mainly concentrate on flying a rig which is not equipped with autopilot, not either on remembering this number or on looking for it while holding a yoke.
I know that next leg HDG shows up when particular leg becomes active but it appears too late and also disappears very fast. It is simply wrongly done. Sometimes air is rough and You have to fight with a plane to hold it steady. And when I finally want to make a turn this number is already gone off the screen and You have to visit pilot log or precisely touch magenta line to view it (risking entering leg edit mode at the same time).

Edited 8/12/2019 1:10:27 PM by m3duzas
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
m3duzas - 8/12/2019 10:38:42 AM

I don't agree with You Tim. For REAL world pilots flight plan is saint. Unless you're not a pilot Tim (which I presume - so far You didn't answer my question), it can look redundant Smooooth  For Your reflection, I fly by the numbers and map, not by VR that is only a useful gadget.

Ok, I don't wanna argue........I have easier suggestion instead. Can You at least expand 'next point info' on a top of map screen?
?
It is a very small change so I don't think it'll brake Your highly conservative approach on altering main map view.

Right now info about next turn (leg) heading is not sufficiently visible unless ofc You start clicking. Like I already said I don't wanna click. I want to see it all the time and mainly concentrate on flying a rig which is not equipped with autopilot, not either on remembering this number or on looking for it while holding a yoke.
I know that next leg HDG shows up when particular leg becomes active but it appears too late and also disappears very fast. It is simply wrongly done. Sometimes air is rough and You have to fight with a plane to hold it steady. And when I finally want to make a turn this number is already gone off the screen and You have to visit pilot log or precisely touch magenta line to view it (risking entering leg edit mode at the same time).

Unless you're not a pilot Tim...

m3duzas
You should take a look here under the heading "Company History"

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

m3duzas
m
Sky Painter - 8/13/2019 7:48:33 AM
m3duzas - 8/12/2019 10:38:42 AM

?

Unless you're not a pilot Tim...

m3duzas
You should take a look here under the heading "Company History"

Thanx a lot Sky Painter, appreciate Cool Now at least it is clear to me who is the person I'm trying to convince to anything.

ArnaudC
A
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
What I could agree with (on the iPad, there is not enough space on an iPhone to do either) would be:
  • in landscape mode, the ability to split the top-view map "area" to show the top-view map on the left half of the screen and the PLOG on the right half, and the VR below below both. Maybe a 2/3-1/3 split, and limit the PLOG view to waypoint, distance and heading. Full PLOG where it is today.
  • in portrait mode there is limited space on even an iPad Mini, so it's more difficult. Maybe a horizontal split and limit the PLOG view to the current and next leg only.
Switching between the VR and PLOG does not bring anything vs the current situation IMO. Whether flying VFR or IFR I like having the VR on at all times to visualize airspaces, obstacles and terrain, so an option that could accidentally remove it from view is not desired.
My 2 cents.

m3duzas
m
Version history:
"3.12.11  7 Oct 2019     
When flying, the magnetic heading of your next leg is displayed as you approach your turning point
7 Oct 2019
"

Finally BigGrin
Thank YOU so much!!!!  Now navigation is much more convenient.
Tested and works like a charm Cool

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Fantastic!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search