Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Import .gpx files after editing

Author
duncans
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Forgot to turn off flight logging so ended up with my drive home recorded on the flight log.

To edit the drive out of the log, I exported to a gpx file, opened in Notepad and deleted the segments relating to the drive. That leaves me with a clean gpx file which displays the correct flight log when I import it back in to SD.

How do I save this as a SD flightlog? I tried renaming the .gpx as a .flightlog file and saving in the skydemon/logs folder, but it doesn't work. Couldn't find any 'save log file' functionality to put a .flightlog file in to the skydemon/logs folder.

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
duncans - 4/23/2019 11:29:27 AM
Forgot to turn off flight logging so ended up with my drive home recorded on the flight log.

To edit the drive out of the log, I exported to a gpx file, opened in Notepad and deleted the segments relating to the drive. That leaves me with a clean gpx file which displays the correct flight log when I import it back in to SD.

How do I save this as a SD flightlog? I tried renaming the .gpx as a .flightlog file and saving in the skydemon/logs folder, but it doesn't work. Couldn't find any 'save log file' functionality to put a .flightlog file in to the skydemon/logs folder.

Have you tried renaming the file before importing it back into SD?

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
You can't recreate a SkyDemon flight log like that. When you export one into GPX format you lose much of the proprietary data in the original log, such as aircraft, planned route, pilot name, course changes, all sorts of stuff beyond simple geographical data that gets exported to GPX.

Exporting to GPX is designed so that you can view the geographical part of a flightlog in other software. It's not a way of editing logs and then importing them back into the SkyDemon system.

marekol
m
Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)
So we know how we can NOT do that, but how can we actually edit the log? I have the same issue - after landing used "blocks on" and "engine off" buttons, but forgot to tap "back to planning mode". And what next? SD logged all my way home (driving), and I have no idea how to remove the erroneous tracks.
Any idea?
BTW - why does it log anything after "engine off", while on the ground, using motor powered aircraft?
Maybe besides possibility to merge flight logs, there should also be an option to split them? 

Edited 9/28/2019 9:40:27 PM by marekol
pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
marekol - 9/28/2019 9:12:39 PM
So we know how we can NOT do that, but how can we actually edit the log? I have the same issue - after landing used "blocks on" and "engine off" buttons, but forgot to tap "back to planning mode". And what next? SD logged all my way home (driving), and I have no idea how to remove the erroneous tracks.
Any idea?
BTW - why does it log anything after "engine off", while on the ground, using motor powered aircraft?
Maybe besides possibility to merge flight logs, there should also be an option to split them? 

As you recognized, you cannot edit the .flightlog file, which btw was one reason our supervisor accepted Skydemon for logging purposes.

Regarding your BTW, did you learn the concept of 'block time' in training and how it works? Just for recap - 'Engine off' will only mark 'end of flight', all other movement on the ground until 'on block' is still block time, you remember? For us i.e. refuelling after flight at the station and being tugged to final park position is blocktime until at the parking position.

Edited 9/29/2019 7:00:50 AM by MarkusM
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
The flight logs in SkyDemon are not designed to be user-editable. Your log sounds like it is valid in terms of the timings, which is the important thing, but you forgot to stop SkyDemon so presumably it logged your drive home. Perhaps that produce extra flights? We may be able to do something about it, because I agree that sounds undesirable, but it would be good to have your confirmation of the problem.
marekol
m
Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 9/30/2019 10:11:03 AM
The flight logs in SkyDemon are not designed to be user-editable. Your log sounds like it is valid in terms of the timings, which is the important thing, but you forgot to stop SkyDemon so presumably it logged your drive home. Perhaps that produce extra flights? We may be able to do something about it, because I agree that sounds undesirable, but it would be good to have your confirmation of the problem.

Exactly, that's the clue of my question. Flight logging is actually correct and timings are valid, however it produced some additional flights as I was driving home with SD in by bag, because I simply didn't return "back to planning mode" - I forgot. However I made it "on blocks" and "engine off". And that's the problem. All I need to do is to correct the log by removing the erroneous additional "flight" logged when I was driving home. That would be great if you could do anything to solve that. 

MarkusM - 9/29/2019 6:59:06 AM
As you recognized, you cannot edit the .flightlog file, which btw was one reason our supervisor accepted Skydemon for logging purposes.

Regarding your BTW, did you learn the concept of 'block time' in training and how it works? Just for recap - 'Engine off' will only mark 'end of flight', all other movement on the ground until 'on block' is still block time, you remember? For us i.e. refuelling after flight at the station and being tugged to final park position is blocktime until at the parking position.

I don't need to edit it freely, I just need to correct some specific errors like stated above. Nothing more than that. 

Regarding "block time concept" - yes, of course, I know it very well, but I daresay we don't understand each other's viewpoint. Refueling and being towed to parking position counted as a flight time seems to be strange for me, but for you it's not, I think, and I have no idea why. Besides ICAO, EASA and FAA rules, even SD manual says "SkyDemon will automatically log On Blocks from the time you last moved before tapping Engine Off.", and this idea is correct. Don't confuse the terms. That's the sequence: 
1) Engine Start
2) Off Blocks
3) Take Off
4) Landing
5) On Blocks
6) Engine Off

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
The complication is that there can legitimately be more than one takeoff and landing (flight) before logging back on blocks, that is normal. So my proposal would be to prevent logging any further takeoffs and landings once on blocks or engine off had been logged. That ought to solve the issue, and hopefully will not irritate too many people who simply omit to ever switch out of navigation mode.
marekol
m
Yes, that's true, that is normal and quite usual situation. But after engine is off, there could be no more off block and take off. But I can imagine the case with SD being still on and logging someone's consecutive flights from A to A, like sightseeing flights, without any need to manually log it every time. So it shouldn't stop logging after on blocks. That solution is not so obvious. As for now I see two possibilities:
1. No automatic off-block and take-off after the engine off is logged. To log new flight, user would need to manually log engine on again, or return to planning mode and back to flight mode again. It may irritate some users, and potentially cause some unlogged flights for them (some may forget to log engine on, the same like I forgot to go back to planning mode...). But on blocks should not stop further logging - it's not enough.
2. Don't touch the logging mechanism and let it work without any changes, as it works well. But to avoid unwanted logged "flights", just let the users to remove them by splitting the logs by block times logged. If we can merge the logs, let us also split them. And then, after we split off the erroneous flight log, we could delete one, saving the correct part of the log (from engine on to engine off, or off blocks to on blocks). It don't expect that to cause any negative outcome, however I can be unaware of something. Maybe that would be the best solution?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
I'm pleased to say I've been able to do something about this. We are being cautious, but in the next version, if you've explicitly logged engine OFF, all logging stops at that point. No further events or position snapshots will be logged after that.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search