Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Bearingless targets on traffic screen

Author
FlightDek
Too Much Forum (693 reputation)Too Much Forum (693 reputation)Too Much Forum (693 reputation)Too Much Forum (693 reputation)Too Much Forum (693 reputation)Too Much Forum (693 reputation)Too Much Forum (693 reputation)Too Much Forum (693 reputation)Too Much Forum (693 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I use a phone for traffic awareness connected to a PilotAware.  I set the phone to the traffic screen and it make it easy to spot stuff that comes in range.  However it doesn't show bearingless target at all.  Any chance of just having the detected aircraft ID colour coded somewhere on the screen with relative altitude?  It would make it a lot easier to decide whether an altitude change would help separation.  I know I can get the info from the ring drawn around my aircraft on my tablet display but it can be difficult making out the relative altitude against the map background and my aircraft trajectory line

Thanks
Dek

Bealeyman
Bealeyman
Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)
FlightDek - 5/15/2019 8:26:31 PM
I use a phone for traffic awareness connected to a PilotAware.  I set the phone to the traffic screen and it make it easy to spot stuff that comes in range.  However it doesn't show bearingless target at all.  Any chance of just having the detected aircraft ID colour coded somewhere on the screen with relative altitude?  It would make it a lot easier to decide whether an altitude change would help separation.  I know I can get the info from the ring drawn around my aircraft on my tablet display but it can be difficult making out the relative altitude against the map background and my aircraft trajectory line

Thanks
Dek
Your comment about difficulty in reading the relative altitude on the normal display is something that I have noticed. Its the most important info and it is sometimes impossible to read because of clutter. I pointed this out on the stand at the LAA event and I did not have any difficulty proving the point on a live display. 

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
Could you perhaps post a screenshot here illustrating a situation you believe is hard to read?
Bealeyman
Bealeyman
Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)Too Much Forum (498 reputation)
I will try ASAP.
TimT
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 9/10/2019 2:17:02 PM
Could you perhaps post a screenshot here illustrating a situation you believe is hard to read?

Here is one screenshot that exemplifies the problem:

The problem is exarberated because (at least in Track-Up mode) the aircraft trajectory line is across, and on top, or the relative altitude of the traffic target.

Pls also see this topic, posted here under "Suggestions" Relative Altitude of Traffic Targets. As I already made the case there, another problem is the way the most critical part of the information (namely whether the target is above, or below me) is depicted. Currently, above is denoted by "+", and below by "-". That is, the difference is four or six screen pixels that are difficult to make out.

I do not have the solution, but this part of traffic awareness could benefit from a radical design review.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
We've reviewed this display ready for the next version. It's now offset from forward by 30 degrees so should never interfere with the trajectory line. We've also added the climb/descent indicator.
Bealeyman
Bealeyman
See image showing clutter about relative height. Taken on a flight two days ago. Software upto date on mini IPAD. If it had been bearingless 'traffic' it would have taken a lot of head-in-cockpit time to figure out. Is the 'fix' mentioned by TD going to fix this ?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
It's now offset from forward by 30 degrees so should never interfere with the trajectory line. We've also added the climb/descent indicator.
Bealeyman
Bealeyman
Tim Dawson - 1/6/2020 11:37:09 AM
It's now offset from forward by 30 degrees so should never interfere with the trajectory line. We've also added the climb/descent indicator.

Thanks for the update. I look forward to getting it. All the best for 2020 to SkyDemon and all who post on the forum
TimT
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 1/6/2020 11:37:09 AM

That was a good improvement. However, in portrait mode, and subject of course to the zoom setting, the label with the relative altitude of a bearingless target can still be covered by the "instruments" and "current location/Find" field. 

A 45 deg offset would fix this.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search