Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Printing Pooleys plate from iPad

Author
h
Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Whenever I try to print a Pooleys plate it comes out as A5 size on A4 paper. I can’t find any setting in SD or iPad or printer to change this. SD PLOGs print just fine, full A4 as expected. Instrument plates, civil AIP, all good, SkyDemon plates (“all our data in one place”) have the same problem. If I export the created plate from SD to iPad Books, it shows up fine and displays fine but has the same print problem (a5 size on A4) which makes me think it’s something inherent in the plate.

Is this a feature as intended, a bug (maybe specific to me), or some configuration I’m not getting the hang of?

Cheers

Andreas
Andreas
Too Much Forum (57 reputation)Too Much Forum (57 reputation)Too Much Forum (57 reputation)Too Much Forum (57 reputation)Too Much Forum (57 reputation)Too Much Forum (57 reputation)Too Much Forum (57 reputation)Too Much Forum (57 reputation)Too Much Forum (57 reputation)
In my environment I'll have to change the printer settings to A5 first. My Brother MFC prompts for new papersize when I remove the paper cartridge.

hhflyer
h
Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)Forum Member (49 reputation)
Andreas - 9/9/2019 1:55:33 PM
In my environment I'll have to change the printer settings to A5 first. My Brother MFC prompts for new papersize when I remove the paper cartridge.

Yes, I don't think it's a printer thing - the printer is set to A4, and I want A4, but the image being sent is shrunk to A5.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
You're just printing a PDF. You're actually outside of SkyDemon when doing this, it's iOS showing the PDF and allowing you to print it with the built-in PDF reader. I'm afraid I have no knowledge of how to tailor its printed output.
hhflyer
h
Tim Dawson - 9/10/2019 1:51:20 PM
You're just printing a PDF. You're actually outside of SkyDemon when doing this, it's iOS showing the PDF and allowing you to print it with the built-in PDF reader. I'm afraid I have no knowledge of how to tailor its printed output.

Ok that sort of makes sense. The odd thing is that other charts (e.g. AIP) print ok, I.e. as full A4. I’m wondering if the pdf encoding in the Pooleys plate somehow makes it shrink.

Has anyone else been able to print Pooleys at full A4 size from IOS? Would love to hear what I am doing wrong!
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
I would imagine that it’s due to the native size of the pdf.

AIP plates are naturally A4; a paper Pooleys is published in A5 format and I guess that carries through to the pdfs.

You could export them from SD to a pdf reader/editor such as GoodReader where you can combine/manipulate them to print doubled up side by side to A4. They’ll look horrible printed singly as A4.

Or get some A5 paper.
Edited 9/10/2019 4:14:58 PM by grahamb
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
It is true that Pooley's pages are smaller than A4. I imagine they print at their proper, intended size. If you wanted to blow them up, you'd probably have to find some software for doing that.
hhflyer
h
That all makes sense, thanks for the replies. Despite them being designed as A5, because I use an A4 kneeboard and the detail is quite small I like blowing them up to A4. I note that under the Windows version, because there are more detailed (native to Windows) print options you can select “Fit” and it will scale up to A4, so that’s the simplest way of doing it. Sadly iOS has pretty limited (air-) print configurability

That means I will need to rise from horizontal planning mode on the couch with my iPad in one hand and a beer in the other, to visit the PC!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search