Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Confusion around Closing FPL using SD

Author
Easy Cruising
Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
If I log-in to the SD website and go to 'Manage Subscritpion'-->'Manage Flightplans' I can see the FPL's I created in the SD app. I can close an fpl there. On a recent flight I asked the tower to close my flightplan (which I had filed through SD), which they did. I logged-in to the web-page some time later and the options were still Cancel/Close for that fpl. I closed it through the app just in case, and it showed the status closed.

What does SD actually do to close an FPL?‌ Does it matter if I close one that's already been closed by someone else?‌‌ Also, why doesn't it know that the fpl is already closed? I cannot see how SD then knows that the fpl is really closed when it closes it itself.

The final question is that if I close an FPL using the SD web page, and it shows status 'Closed' , am I 100% sure it is really closed?

Does anyone out there use the fpl close function exclusively ? Does it always work ? ‌‌Input appreciated. ‌‌

Gerhard66
G
Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)
Easy Cruising - 6/21/2017 1:26:19 PM
If I log-in to the SD website and go to 'Manage Subscritpion'-->'Manage Flightplans' I can see the FPL's I created in the SD app. I can close an fpl there. On a recent flight I asked the tower to close my flightplan (which I had filed through SD), which they did. I logged-in to the web-page some time later and the options were still Cancel/Close for that fpl. I closed it through the app just in case, and it showed the status closed.

What does SD actually do to close an FPL?‌ Does it matter if I close one that's already been closed by someone else?‌‌ Also, why doesn't it know that the fpl is already closed? I cannot see how SD then knows that the fpl is really closed when it closes it itself.

The final question is that if I close an FPL using the SD web page, and it shows status 'Closed' , am I 100% sure it is really closed?

Does anyone out there use the fpl close function exclusively ? Does it always work ? ‌‌Input appreciated. ‌‌

I never closed a flight plan via the web interface of SD‌, but when filing a delay, I get an email stating "...your flight plan has been successfully delayed."
For me, th‌is is prove enough.
Do you receive a similar email when closing the flight plan via the web interface?
I guess, SD is not p‌ermanently synchronizing it's display with real world.

Easy Cruising
Easy Cruising
Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.4K reputation)
Just adding some information to this post : a few days ago I filed an FPL using SD for a flight Germany-->France , to a French airfield without tower. The FPL was opened by the information service in-flight. After landing I immediately closed the FPL via SD .. and got a 'Confirmation of Closure' email. About 10 minutes later Reims control called me on my phone number and asked if I had landed safely. Obviously they hadn't seen that my FPL had been closed. Looks like they are not yet sufficiently aware that FPL's can be closed 'direct' with Eurocontrol without going through the local system (just my guess).
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Closing a flightplan just means sending an ARR (arrived) message to all its original recipients. We can do that, or somebody else can do it. If someone else does it, we won't usually get the message so we won't know it's been closed, but that's fine. It's only the pilot who needs reassurance that it's been closed.

In the example above the French unit, if they'd looked, could probably have seen that an arrival message had already been sent.‌
j.hermansson03@gmail.com
j
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)
Hello, 

I used SD to file VFR flightplans this weekend. I filed two flightplans, flew and closed them with SD Saturday. (ESTL - EKAT and EKAT - EKSS, so Sweden to Denmark and then Denmark - Denmark). Worked brilliantly. 
But when I flew EKSS - ESTL (Denmark - Sweden) yesterday, and closed the flightplan it didn't quite work out. 

I landed, closed the flightplan in the app and got the confirmation email, which stated:

This email is confirmation that your flightplan has been successfully closed. A copy of the arrival message is below for your reference.
(ARR-SELLZ-EKSS-ESTL1759-DOF/190728)
Addresses: EKDKZPZX

Which, maybe is exactly what to expect, but Swedish authorities weren't notified and they started looking for us unfortunately. 
And, I don't know how this is supposed to work, I see that the message was sent to Denmark, but not to Sweden. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be done, but I don't quite understand what I should do not to have this issue in the future? 

Best regards, 
Joakim

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
I suspect certain authorities will ignore any closing through an app, especially in countries not closing FPL in flight but only on the ground ...
Duddits
Duddits
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)
j.hermansson03@gmail.com - 7/29/2019 8:44:21 AM
Hello, 

I used SD to file VFR flightplans this weekend. I filed two flightplans, flew and closed them with SD Saturday. (ESTL - EKAT and EKAT - EKSS, so Sweden to Denmark and then Denmark - Denmark). Worked brilliantly. 
But when I flew EKSS - ESTL (Denmark - Sweden) yesterday, and closed the flightplan it didn't quite work out. 

I landed, closed the flightplan in the app and got the confirmation email, which stated:

This email is confirmation that your flightplan has been successfully closed. A copy of the arrival message is below for your reference.
(ARR-SELLZ-EKSS-ESTL1759-DOF/190728)
Addresses: EKDKZPZX

Which, maybe is exactly what to expect, but Swedish authorities weren't notified and they started looking for us unfortunately. 
And, I don't know how this is supposed to work, I see that the message was sent to Denmark, but not to Sweden. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be done, but I don't quite understand what I should do not to have this issue in the future? 

Best regards, 
Joakim

I can only confirm that.
In July I was also in Sweden and have closed the flight plan via SD (so I thought) - but there was no transmission.
But then I got a call because I was missing. Could then be clarified the situation. The colleagues were relieved that I landed safely

Best Regards
Michael

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search