Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Density Altitude

Author
MikeTwoOne
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

With the very high temperatures we have in West Europe this week, I've realized that the almost only information I don't have in Skydemon is a density altitude calculator. I do not speak about implementing a complete performance calculator (this is not what I expect from SD), but a gentle calculator with a clear marking of the density altitude for a specific place (METAR-based) could be a gentle reminder that reviewing the performance tables is not optional.

Today, due to the temperature, taking-off from my usual airfield would have been very challenging Smile

M
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
What form would you expect this to take? What sort of output?
MikeTwoOne
MikeTwoOne
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
That is a very good question Smile

I think I would expect a notification (a warning symbol?) on the Airfield Brief tool, next to pressure altitude existing information.
But perhaps it has its place in the airfield tab (as for METAR, NOTAMs, ...)

M
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)
That would be a great addition! Use the METAR information to calculate DA and show a warning next to the airport if DA is above a user settable threshold. The user already sets his personal VFR minima, so setting his personal DA limit fits nicely into the paradigm.

-- Chris.

psuter
psuter
Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)
ckurz7000 - 8/29/2016 7:27:03 AM
That would be a great addition! Use the METAR information to calculate DA and show a warning next to the airport if DA is above a user settable threshold. The user already sets his personal VFR minima, so setting his personal DA limit fits nicely into the paradigm.

-- Chris.

honestly i don't think that there can be such a thing like a personal DA limit .. your DA limit should depend on available runway length, loading of the aircraft , surrounding terrain, airspaces and weather (like wind and clouds)..

however i do like the idea of seeing this information in skydemon.. how about placing this information in the Approach Information of an airfield right where the runway dimensions, head/tailwind and surface wind info is displayed?

ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)
psuter - 8/30/2016 12:26:16 PM
ckurz7000 - 8/29/2016 7:27:03 AM

-- Chris.

honestly i don't think that there can be such a thing like a personal DA limit .. your DA limit should depend on available runway length, loading of the aircraft , surrounding terrain, airspaces and weather (like wind and clouds)..

however i do like the idea of seeing this information in skydemon.. how about placing this information in the Approach Information of an airfield right where the runway dimensions, head/tailwind and surface wind info is displayed?

Maybe I expressed my self badly. What I meant was the service ceiling of the aircraft or some other performance related limit. My limit is that altitude at which I can still achieve a 200 fpm climb at full gross.

-- Chris.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
An idea that I think has legs would be to show a warning when the density altitude for a particular airfield differs from the actual altitude for the airfield by more than a certain amount, or perhaps a percentage. How about that?
Flint
Flint
Too Much Forum (194 reputation)Too Much Forum (194 reputation)Too Much Forum (194 reputation)Too Much Forum (194 reputation)Too Much Forum (194 reputation)Too Much Forum (194 reputation)Too Much Forum (194 reputation)Too Much Forum (194 reputation)Too Much Forum (194 reputation)
I think as a first step it would be beneficial to have a calculated DA in Skydemon at all. METAR data is available already, so I believe it would be simple for you guys to implement this.

Best wishes,
Alex

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
It makes sense to me, but this thread hasn't had much activity in the last three years.
emporer
e
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
i think its a good idea:
show always DA below pressure altitude in the airport information sheet
the conclusion from that information must every pilot derive by themself based on airplane performance, loading, runway length, runway slope, surrounding terrain
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search