Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Google Maps on PC with traffic circuit

Author
Daniel_KDF
Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I really like Skydemon drawing the traffic circuit of an airfield on the map. 
For non-GPS VFR flying however, I find it important to view the traffic circuit in reference to a satellite/air photography image during flight preparation.
On my iPad, when I press "View on map" I will get a Google Maps window with the circuit diagram vector lines on top of it. This is just great!
However, as I do most of my preparation on PC, I am missing this feature there. On the PC, you only create a link with the airfield location and open a browser window. The vector information of the circuit diagram is missing unfortunately.

Do you think you could add this feature to the PC version? I believe Google maps offers the technology to add vector information also on the PC, however the solution might be different to the app.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
At present we cannot easily add this feature to our PC software because there isn't a standard mapping API on PCs which allows us to add the extra vector data.
Markuus
M
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)
Hi, please apologize the dumb question, but doesn‘t Skydemon use KML files to display traffic patterns? That should work the same on a PC.
Daniel_KDF
Daniel_KDF
Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)
Thank you for your reply, Tim.
I am not a developer, so all I did is some Google search:

Drawing in Google Maps:

KML in Google Maps:
(this API will be discontinued, however)

Also, you could make an option to call Google Earth with the traffic circuit in an KML.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
No, we don't use KML to display the traffic circuits in any of our products.

Daniel, I understand how at first glance those might look like solutions. However SkyDemon PC is desktop software and those are web APIs. While we like Google Earth as a viewer for work done by the user in SkyDemon (viewing planned routes or flown track logs) we cannot integrate it sufficiently tightly to make it a good user experience for viewing our airfield mapping data.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search