SkyDemon Forums

Google Maps on PC with traffic circuit

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic28285.aspx

By Tim Dawson - 4/15/2019 2:03:23 PM

At present we cannot easily add this feature to our PC software because there isn't a standard mapping API on PCs which allows us to add the extra vector data.
By Markuus - 4/15/2019 3:27:06 PM

Hi, please apologize the dumb question, but doesn‘t Skydemon use KML files to display traffic patterns? That should work the same on a PC.
By Daniel_KDF - 4/16/2019 5:54:03 AM

Thank you for your reply, Tim.
I am not a developer, so all I did is some Google search:

Drawing in Google Maps:

KML in Google Maps:
(this API will be discontinued, however)

Also, you could make an option to call Google Earth with the traffic circuit in an KML.

By Tim Dawson - 4/24/2019 10:17:46 AM

No, we don't use KML to display the traffic circuits in any of our products.

Daniel, I understand how at first glance those might look like solutions. However SkyDemon PC is desktop software and those are web APIs. While we like Google Earth as a viewer for work done by the user in SkyDemon (viewing planned routes or flown track logs) we cannot integrate it sufficiently tightly to make it a good user experience for viewing our airfield mapping data.
By Daniel_KDF - 4/13/2019 10:12:30 AM

I really like Skydemon drawing the traffic circuit of an airfield on the map. 
For non-GPS VFR flying however, I find it important to view the traffic circuit in reference to a satellite/air photography image during flight preparation.
On my iPad, when I press "View on map" I will get a Google Maps window with the circuit diagram vector lines on top of it. This is just great!
However, as I do most of my preparation on PC, I am missing this feature there. On the PC, you only create a link with the airfield location and open a browser window. The vector information of the circuit diagram is missing unfortunately.

Do you think you could add this feature to the PC version? I believe Google maps offers the technology to add vector information also on the PC, however the solution might be different to the app.