Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Traffic Voice Alerts and Pilot Aware

Author
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
MarcusM is just stating that there is no way to meaningfully differentiate between:
1. A high power Mode C transponder transmission from a CAT aircraft, say 50 miles away
2. A low power Mode C transponder transmission from a GA aircraft that may be just 1-2 miles away.
Yes, you can filter transponder returns by altitude but if you are flying in a busy environment it could be confusing/misleading as to what the true threat is.
Tony

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
If only people would focus their attention, and budgets, on -being- conspicuous rather than trying to see every last piece of traffic on their tablets, the situation would soon resolve itself. ;-)

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Very wise words, Graham!
neilmurg
neilmurg
Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.7K reputation)
tnowak - 2/14/2019 8:27:09 AM
MarcusM is just stating that there is no way to meaningfully differentiate between:
1. A high power Mode C transponder transmission from a CAT aircraft, say 50 miles away
2. A low power Mode C transponder transmission from a GA aircraft that may be just 1-2 miles away.
Yes, you can filter transponder returns by altitude but if you are flying in a busy environment it could be confusing/misleading as to what the true threat is.
Tony

No way? Is that a conclusion after analysing the PAw algorithm?
For instance, how quickly could the strength of a signal from 200 miles away change, aircraft doing 140-250kn, vs a signal from 5 miles away @120kn?
TimT
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
neilmurg - 2/14/2019 6:08:34 PM

No way? Is that a conclusion after analysing the PAw algorithm?
For instance, how quickly could the strength of a signal from 200 miles away change, aircraft doing 140-250kn, vs a signal from 5 miles away @120kn?

Exactly. This is what the PAw documention says:

The absolute signal strength
transmitted is not a constant for all installations, so PilotAware can only work with relative
strengths. A voice alert is generated as the signal strength from an aircraft known by its
individual ICAO code, changes between strength bands.

Kurt37
K
Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)
Since the last post PAW has implemented Mlt or as they call it mode S/3D to show a position to a bearingless Mode S target. I have been checking their accuracy and nearly all targets have been within 5 degree of bearing error, which is pretty good. 

It says that you should not use that PAW function with skydemon due to missing circle of ambiguity 

Two questions:
- is it a "should not" or "cannot/doesn't work at all"? 
- is there an update to that statement / does it work now? 

Kind regards 
Patrick 

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
This thread is about voice alerts, which are the safest way to be aware of traffic around you. PilotAware are correct that SkyDemon does not draw so-called "circles of ambiguity" around aircraft; to use these effectively would require you to look at your tablet screen far more than is safe to do.

The multilaterated traffic from PilotAware takes part in the SkyDemon voice alert system. As of the next version of PilotAware the SkyDemon voice alert will include the word "estimated" if the traffic has been positioned by algorithms and is subject to latency. This assumes you are using the GDL90 protocol to connect your PilotAware to SkyDemon. An example phrase you might hear:

"Traffic ahead, estimated 2 o'clock, 1.5 miles, 300 feet above"

John Brady
John Brady
Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)
Hi Folks,

In my new RV-8 I have PF connected to PAW that I planned as a hub to deliver FLARM, ADS-B and PAW track data via WiFi to SD on iPads in front and back seats.  It works great.  Initially I had audio feeds from PF, PAW and SD as well as other systems linked into the intercom but the traffic warning systems were competing with each other and at a busy airfield (Turweston) it turned into bedlam on the headphones. 

Having re-read the SKD manual and forum it would appear that as PAW sends its traffic data via WiFi to SKD where audio and visual warnings are generated, I should be able to turn off the PAW audio without loss of capability.  If PAW passes PF traffic data to SD as part of its standard stream, I should be able to turn the PF direct audio off as well because SD will take care of it.  SD will generate audio warnings on all source traffic  together with airspace, terrain etc.  

Is that correct please and are there any wrinkles I need to take into account?

A great feature of such an arrangement is that I could route the iPad audio through an (existing spare) panel mounted push button so that in the event of an aircraft emergency needing clear VHF COM and warnings from the aircraft monitoring systems, I could dump the traffic and airspace data and not be distracted.

Any advice would be most welcome.

John

Peter Robertson
Peter Robertson
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Hi John,

IIRC the PowerFlarm audio warnings comprise a series of ‘bleeps’ increasing in frequency (and possibly pitch) as the aircraft close towards collision point - but starting only from something like ‘18 seconds to collision’, which IMO is too close for safety in normal GA use. If you have the PF (Positional) traffic data integrated through PilotAware, this will automatically be covered by SkyDemon’s anti-collision alerts, as will PilotAware Positional P3i, ADSB and MLAT Traffic, I’m pretty sure you can turn the PF audio off by resetting your configuration using the PowerFlarm Configuration Tool.

Assuming the above to be correct, the only potential conflict for ‘known position’ aircraft alerts will be that the PilotAware alerts are based on position, whereas the SkyDemon ones are based on probability of collision. You can, however, happily use either, - or both via a mixer, as with a little practice, the alerts are easily separated by the different voices used, providing you keep the volume levels as near EQUAL as possible, and RELATIVELY LOW.

The mistake most people make when trying to listen to multiple audio sources, is turning the volumes UP. If you keep them low, your brain learns to separate multiple sound sources - even through the same headset. If you turn the volumes UP, you have no chance! I know, because I taught this system for over 10 years for multi-channel / multi-frequency / inter- agency Command and Control at major incidents in the Fire and Rescue Service.

The only ‘Fly in the Ointment’ in using SD’s audio exclusively in my experience, is the issue of Bearingless Traffic, where no audio warnings whatever are provided by SD and if using GDL90, we get no visual warnings either. I understand Tim’s reasoning for this (though disagree at least in part). Having tested the options extensively, I have, however, learned to cope with Bearingless Traffic without visual warnings provided I still get reliable audio alerts (currently from my PilotAware feed).

Best Regards
Peter
(PilotAware Development Team)
Edited 8/13/2020 11:40:37 AM by Peter Robertson
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
You'll find that the SkyDemon verbal traffic facilities are designed to be intelligent, and to replicate what an actual controller would say to you based on what other traffic is doing. Unless it's going to come close to you, we don't talk to you about it. This solution is quite far apart from other available solutions that just speak to you based on other traffic being contained inside simple rings around you, not actually analysing trajectories.

Because of the requirement that we do not talk at the pilot too much, we do not vocalise bearingless targets, as Peter correctly says above. If we did, it would go along the lines of "there is traffic close to your level, possibly close by, but we don't know where". That isn't good enough for us, and we would need to issue these warnings so often that we'd risk the pilot mentally tuning them out.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search