Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Garmin SL-40 interface

Author
Massimo Belloni
Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
What about supporting (with appropriate devices) the Garmin SL-40 protocol, which is able to set frequency/memory of the radio getting the data form the GPS system?

I‌'ve tested this feature on seeral different acft, and I think it is an extremely interesting feature: one time you get acquainted to it, it's hard to come back to setup frequencies by hand (and sometimes also setting the wrong ones...)

N‌ot only Garmin system does support this feature: for example the Trig radios (made in UK...) may be driven  ‌‌‌in such way.

W‌hat do you think about?

R‌egards,

m‌xb‌‌‌

Massimo Belloni

Massimo Belloni
Massimo Belloni
Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)Too Much Forum (737 reputation)
mxb - 3/7/2018 9:52:50 PM
What about supporting (with appropriate devices) the Garmin SL-40 protocol, which is able to set frequency/memory of the radio getting the data form the GPS system?

I‌'ve tested this feature on seeral different acft, and I think it is an extremely interesting feature: one time you get acquainted to it, it's hard to come back to setup frequencies by hand (and sometimes also setting the wrong ones...)

N‌ot only Garmin system does support this feature: for example the Trig radios (made in UK...) may be driven  ‌‌‌in such way.

W‌hat do you think about?

R‌egards,

m‌xb‌‌‌

Really this feature does not turn up attention? I find this a bit strange...

Massimo Belloni

T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)
Part of the lack of interest will be because such a function cannot legally be implemented in a CofA aircraft, and even on LAA aircraft the complexity of connecting a tablet to panel mount avionics means that uptake will bebe minim to zero.
Massimo Belloni
Massimo Belloni
T67M - 3/27/2018 8:39:27 PM
Part of the lack of interest will be because such a function cannot legally be implemented in a CofA aircraft, and even on LAA aircraft the complexity of connecting a tablet to panel mount avionics means that uptake will bebe minim to zero.

Hello,

Thanks, your answer is very interesting.‌ While I can understand the CofA question, for the LAA the issue is quite different for a couple of reason:
1‌) Running a tablet (or a PNA) just on battery to avoid cables is not a clever idea, and when you already have a power cable, it is not a problem route too the RS-232 signal to the radio (it is plenty of inexpensive USB/RS-232 converters for any kind of device)
2‌) If cable is a real problem and this solution can't be implemented, there are also a lot of Bluetooth/RS-232 converter which may preserve the no-cable freedom but implementing the interface anyway.

BTW with  the recent (forced) new radio installations due to 8.33 kHz update, most of the more recent models implement the Garmin interface (as well as many SD contenders, from the application side), so not having this feature may be too a limit to SD marketing (IMHO, of course).

‌‌This behavior, btw, would match with the already present possibility of interfacing SD with other external device like ADS-B, Flarm and so on.

I‌t would be interesting to see what SD management think about.

R‌egards,

m‌xb‌‌‌

Massimo Belloni

Edited 3/28/2018 7:54:06 AM by mxb
swordmap
s
Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)

The possibility to use the SL-40 (or -30) interface, now that 8.33 is valid almost in all Europe) is growing in interest (especially with ULM, where CofA is not an issue). It is the main reason why I discarded SD as my possible choice.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
swordmap, what device are you connected to, with your tablet, which supports that interface, and which software package are you using which also supports it?
swordmap
s
Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 1/4/2019 4:34:47 PM
swordmap, what device are you connected to, with your tablet, which supports that interface, and which software package are you using which also supports it?

Currently a Garmin Aera. I would like to get rid of it and use an iPad, but Aera ability to feed the radio with the frequencies without the need to insert them on the radio, kept me away from change (or better, upgrade!). Radio was a Microair, now a Trig.

The connection to the radio (which is always a wired RS-232) could be done via a serial converter (or, even better, a Bluetooth-to-serial device). Being basically a one way connection (SD to radio) implementation should not be an unsormountable problem.

Hope this helps!

Sword

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Obviously it's doable, but I don't think the demand is high enough to warrant us looking at this in the near future, sorry.
vovo
v
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)
Today, I installed XCSoar on my tablet, because I think controlling of the radio via tablet is very convinient.
XCSoar has an implemention for this feature.
I like to use skydemon for when flying with a motor, but Xcsoar is capable of controlling the radio. So, currently I am unsure what to use.

If this feature was more known, I am sure everyone will like it.
The biggest issue is the complicated installation and configuration of the RS232 connection.
You will need a BT -> RS232 Adapter or something like that.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search