Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Dynon DRX

Author
J
Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all,
Maybe this has been brought up already but is the Dynon DRX portable ADS-B solution compatible with SD?
I would be very interested if those two would work together.
The pilotshop at EHLE states on their website that the DRX is not compatible. Seems odd to me as both SD and DRX support the GDL-90 protocol and both have Wifi.
Regards,
John

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Is that the one which does not have a barometer in it? I do recall some office discussion about it.
JohnPS
J
Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)Junior Member (17 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 11/23/2018 12:38:23 PM
Is that the one which does not have a barometer in it? I do recall some office discussion about it.

Here is the link to the DRX:

John

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
It would be worth chatting with Pilotshop at EHLE about it. I believe they were in touch with us directly about it (but not me) so will know the answer.
JohnPS
J
Tim Dawson - 11/30/2018 4:46:00 PM
It would be worth chatting with Pilotshop at EHLE about it. I believe they were in touch with us directly about it (but not me) so will know the answer.

Hi Tim,
Peter Mundy told me that Skydemon requires the ADS-B device to have a pressure sensor which the DRX does not have.
John

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Then my recollection was correct. Without a pressure sensor it's impossible for the device to know the relative heights between your own aircraft and any other, and therefore impossible to protect you from a collision.
JohnPS
J
Tim Dawson - 12/17/2018 10:47:23 AM
Then my recollection was correct. Without a pressure sensor it's impossible for the device to know the relative heights between your own aircraft and any other, and therefore impossible to protect you from a collision.

Foreflight does not seem to have any issues with this.
I can imagine that the DRX also 'hears' the transmissions of the aircraft itself and so can deduce its altitude from that mode s..

John

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
If it hears the transmissions from the aircraft itself, it will know the barometric altitude of the aircraft and should be compatible with SkyDemon. If it isn't sending that data, then we can't help.

Other products may happily present you with other traffic, giving you the impression that you are being protected from it, when you are not. That's dangerous, and is not the way we operate.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search