Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Enhancing the Find Destination functionality

Author
kakugo
Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I would like to suggest to enhance the filters one can use to "find a destination". For example, when the "Rating, Facilities, Events" option is selected, the only selectable requirement is food!
In particular, it would be very convenient to be able to select only airfields with an AFIS or a Tower. This is particularly true in France, as typically airfields without AFIS or tower require to do the Air-to-air communications in French only, and not everybody is proficient in French... I imagine the same applies to other countries (and languages) as well.

Thank you!

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
I will be interested to see what others have to say about this suggestion. Generally a feature has to be useful in more than one country before we would implement it.
kakugo
kakugo
Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)Too Much Forum (304 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 12/10/2018 11:23:53 AM
I will be interested to see what others have to say about this suggestion. Generally a feature has to be useful in more than one country before we would implement it.

This was my particular and immediate need, but the idea is to put more selection criteria. I could think of:
- ATS: yes/no [yes=AFIS or tower]
- PPR required: yes/no
- NVFR: yes/no
- Customs: yes/no
- Fuel: AVGAS, Jet-A, etc./no [somewhat redundant with respect to the other option based on fuel prices...]
- Repairs: yes/no
- Transports: yes/no

Very often yes means yes with limitations, at certain times etc. but to simplify one can think as no = NIL/never and yes = at least sometimes. Otherwise it becomes unnecessarily complex...

kakugo
kakugo
kakugo - 12/10/2018 1:10:29 PM
Tim Dawson - 12/10/2018 11:23:53 AM

This was my particular and immediate need, but the idea is to put more selection criteria. I could think of:
- ATS: yes/no [yes=AFIS or tower]
- PPR required: yes/no
- NVFR: yes/no
- Customs: yes/no
- Fuel: AVGAS, Jet-A, etc./no [somewhat redundant with respect to the other option based on fuel prices...]
- Repairs: yes/no
- Transports: yes/no

Very often yes means yes with limitations, at certain times etc. but to simplify one can think as no = NIL/never and yes = at least sometimes. Otherwise it becomes unnecessarily complex...

Just to add that the availability of customs is extremely important when flying between countries inside and outside of the Schengen area or the EU common market area, as these flights must begin and and at airports with customs and/or border control, so it would be very convenient to be able to filter out airports without customs/police at all.

Martin Bech
Martin Bech
Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)
When we where flying in France it is quite correct that it is mandantory to speek the language on small airports even if it an AFIS. The rule is, if they do not speek frensh at the airport it is not allowed to land. Well we did land anyway and the responsibel person for the airport told us the rule, drowe us to a hotel and when we left the airport the day after he said we could come back anytime😉. Remember to read textual information on the airports.

AvGas(fuel) selection would be perfect

kakugo
kakugo
Martin Bech - 12/10/2018 8:54:35 PM
When we where flying in France it is quite correct that it is mandantory to speek the language on small airports even if it an AFIS. The rule is, if they do not speek frensh at the airport it is not allowed to land. Well we did land anyway and the responsibel person for the airport told us the rule, drowe us to a hotel and when we left the airport the day after he said we could come back anytime😉. Remember to read textual information on the airports.

AvGas(fuel) selection would be perfect

Well, I fly mostly in France and usually if there is an AFIS English is allowed, unless you are outside of AFIS hours, in which case it's French only (see for example Chalon, LFLH). Do you remember which airport was the one you landed at? 

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
There's a whole section on fuel requirements in the Find a Destination tool.
Dema
Dema
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
I agre with the initial proposal to enhance the selecting info. I already requested to put in aircraft section the CUSTOM info (In a specific place) without to read in the airport info document.
On that way you will be able to put this custom info with other selectable info in FindADestination.
I assure that when you are looking an airport to land and you live (for example as me) in Switzerland, that info will be verg useful.
Now that BREXIT is happening shortly, I assure that this info will be very useful also for all 
UK pilot! and viceversa... 😊

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search