Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

In flight error messages

Author
jollyrog
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Why do I keep getting screenfuls of this in flight? I got six of these in a one hour flight on Saturday. Any way to turn off these messages?

Thanks.

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
I think it is because you have a cellphone internet connection available when flying.
SD is telling you it has lost connectivity.

I see this quite often on my smartphone that I use for SD.
Tony

jollyrog
jollyrog
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
tnowak - 10/23/2018 6:44:41 AM
I think it is because you have a cellphone internet connection available when flying.
SD is telling you it has lost connectivity.

I see this quite often on my smartphone that I use for SD.
Tony

Thanks. Seems like overkill, I don't need half a screen of tiny red writing repeatedly to tell me this. Is there a way of supressing the messages?

Peter Robertson
Peter Robertson
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Rog,

The only way I know of to prevent these messages is to set ‘SkyDemon/Settings/Internet Options’ to ‘Live Data when Planning’, though that of course means you won’t get live updates to notams, etc in flight and can only access SkyDemon’s own airfield plates or any you have previously downloaded during the planning stage.

As Tony has indicated the problem is due to your device losing internet access, which is common at altitude.

If you want to keep your internet running in flight you just need to keep acknowledging/clearing the messages by touching outside the box - though this can be a pain.

Regards

Peter

plume_tray
plume_tray
Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)
No, the problem is that the error messages are too invasive and take up too much of the screen. I get this quite often and it’s annoying.

A small dynamic icon at the corner of the screen would be better. This would indicate the loss of data connection and by touching the icon, the user could see the error messages in full if they wanted to.

We shouldn’t have to acknowledge these messages in flight or change any settings.
jollyrog
jollyrog
Thank you everyone.

Disabling a useful feature to prevent an intrusive and overly complex error report seems counterintuitive. It’s not really an error, live data will be lost at altitude, so I don’t feel that I need an error message, just an indication of the age of the displayd data.
Peer
Peer
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
+1

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
I get a slightly different error message  on my Android smartphone. However, I simply have to touch the screen anywhere outside the message for it to be cleared.

I seem to remember asking Tim (some time ago) if these messages can be displayed in a different format. I think he said a non-trivial redesign would be required.
Tony

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
An overhaul to the way internet communications is attempted is required, and particularly the way errors during communications are reported. But that won't happen overnight. We'll get to it.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search