Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SkyDemon and GPS-Protocoll

Author
b
Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello everybody - this is my first Post as I am new to SkyDemon.

I have a Tablet-PC (Panasonic Toughpad FZ-G1) with Windows 8 installed. This Tablet had a internal dedicated GPS-Receiver installed which worked with the Trial-Version of Skydemon well for the 30 Test-Minutes. As it was a dedicated GPS-Reeceiver that means, my Tablet had no WWAN-capability. So I got it upgraded by Panasonic with a SIERRA WWAN-Card with GPS-capability on board and got the dedicated GPS-Receiver superseded by a USB-Connector. Unfortunately I did not pay attention to the Protocol the dedicated GPS-Receiver delivered.

The SIERRA WWAN-card works fine with the Panasonic GPS-Viewer-Application and gets a Fix immediately. The GPS-Receiver is set to COM 7 at 4800 Baud. It deliveres Protocolls with $GP, $GL and $GN. If I now connect SkyDemon to COM 7 at 4800 Baud it will not get any Fix. But it does not complain that it could not find a Receiver! If I connect SkyDemon to any other COM-Port, it complains that it cannot get a GPS-Signal. So obviously Skydemon detects the Receiver on COM 7 but can not use the Signal itself.

I then tried a old external Holux GPSLIM 236-Bluetooth-Receiver. This connects via BT to COM 40 at 38400 Baud and is recognized by Panasonics GPS-Viewer-Application as well as Skydemon and both get a FIX with the Receiver. If I have a look at the transmitted Protocol in the GPS-Viewer-Application, I can see only $GP-Messages!

I found a Thread in this Forum from 2013 where an issue was discussed concerning GLONASS-Messages and from what I understand, the $GL-Messages from my internal WWAN-Card are from GLONASS?! According to the Manufacturer, the SIERRA-Card is GLONASS-capable.

So my Question is
- if there is still an Issue with Skydemon and GLONASS-Messages or if I am wrong with my conclusion and
- if there is an Issue with $GL an $GN-Messages, is there a possibilty to filter them out?

Unfortunately I can´t find a solution to tell the WWAN-Card to only deliver $GP-Signals (which might be the easiest way).

Hope I could make myself clear in a few words.
Best regards and thanks to anybody for reading (and helping)

Bernhard

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
SkyDemon simply ignores any messages which are not the standard GPS fix messages.
bkj5
b
Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)Too Much Forum (60 reputation)
So every GPS-capable Receiver should work, right? Independant if it is using GLONASS or ather satellites as well? If that is the case I would put some more effort in resolving my issues, If there are any other restrictions in using one or the other receiver, I will propably give up in trying to get SkyDemon to work on my Toughpad.

Thank you anyhow

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Certainly every mainstream GPS receiver should emit the bare minimum sentences necessary for SkyDemon to gather a fix, yes.
bkj5
b
Tim Dawson - 8/30/2018 4:25:18 PM
Certainly every mainstream GPS receiver should emit the bare minimum sentences necessary for SkyDemon to gather a fix, yes.

Thank you for that info. So I will dig a little bit deeper to solve my issues.

bkj5
b
After half a year of fiddling I finally found a insane workaround.

I hope posting links is ok on this forum?! If not, please just delete this post.

I find it ridiculous to be forced to setup such a workaround just to get acceptable data to skydemon, but at least it works. What still is weird is, that skydemon shows different altitudes with my Holux-Receiver and with my internal one, but I will figure that out as well even if I would prefer skydemon to read the data form my internal GPS-receiver natively.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search