SkyDemon Forums

SkyDemon and GPS-Protocoll

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic26782.aspx

By bkj5 - 8/26/2018 6:24:59 PM

Hello everybody - this is my first Post as I am new to SkyDemon.

I have a Tablet-PC (Panasonic Toughpad FZ-G1) with Windows 8 installed. This Tablet had a internal dedicated GPS-Receiver installed which worked with the Trial-Version of Skydemon well for the 30 Test-Minutes. As it was a dedicated GPS-Reeceiver that means, my Tablet had no WWAN-capability. So I got it upgraded by Panasonic with a SIERRA WWAN-Card with GPS-capability on board and got the dedicated GPS-Receiver superseded by a USB-Connector. Unfortunately I did not pay attention to the Protocol the dedicated GPS-Receiver delivered.

The SIERRA WWAN-card works fine with the Panasonic GPS-Viewer-Application and gets a Fix immediately. The GPS-Receiver is set to COM 7 at 4800 Baud. It deliveres Protocolls with $GP, $GL and $GN. If I now connect SkyDemon to COM 7 at 4800 Baud it will not get any Fix. But it does not complain that it could not find a Receiver! If I connect SkyDemon to any other COM-Port, it complains that it cannot get a GPS-Signal. So obviously Skydemon detects the Receiver on COM 7 but can not use the Signal itself.

I then tried a old external Holux GPSLIM 236-Bluetooth-Receiver. This connects via BT to COM 40 at 38400 Baud and is recognized by Panasonics GPS-Viewer-Application as well as Skydemon and both get a FIX with the Receiver. If I have a look at the transmitted Protocol in the GPS-Viewer-Application, I can see only $GP-Messages!

I found a Thread in this Forum from 2013 where an issue was discussed concerning GLONASS-Messages and from what I understand, the $GL-Messages from my internal WWAN-Card are from GLONASS?! According to the Manufacturer, the SIERRA-Card is GLONASS-capable.

So my Question is
- if there is still an Issue with Skydemon and GLONASS-Messages or if I am wrong with my conclusion and
- if there is an Issue with $GL an $GN-Messages, is there a possibilty to filter them out?

Unfortunately I can´t find a solution to tell the WWAN-Card to only deliver $GP-Signals (which might be the easiest way).

Hope I could make myself clear in a few words.
Best regards and thanks to anybody for reading (and helping)

Bernhard
By bkj5 - 5/25/2019 1:48:11 PM

After half a year of fiddling I finally found a insane workaround.

I hope posting links is ok on this forum?! If not, please just delete this post.

I find it ridiculous to be forced to setup such a workaround just to get acceptable data to skydemon, but at least it works. What still is weird is, that skydemon shows different altitudes with my Holux-Receiver and with my internal one, but I will figure that out as well even if I would prefer skydemon to read the data form my internal GPS-receiver natively.