Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

georeferenced charts keep appearing

Author
P
Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
recently when I've been flying I've noticed that georeferenced charts keep appearing, e.g. visual approach charts from french AIP, CICZ etc, and even if I close them with the red x, they keep coming back! now I do like those charts, but not all the time. is there a setting somewhere to turn this off by default?  thank you.

iPad 3.10.0.124

Edited 7/4/2018 3:38:55 PM by Paul Buckley
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
Paul Buckley - 7/4/2018 3:34:02 PM
recently when I've been flying I've noticed that georeferenced charts keep appearing, e.g. visual approach charts from french AIP, CICZ etc, and even if I close them with the red x, they keep coming back! now I do like those charts, but not all the time. is there a setting somewhere to turn this off by default?  thank you.

iPad 3.10.0.124

SD Manual – Pages 46-48

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Paul Buckley
P
Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)
Sky Painter - 7/5/2018 8:43:25 AM
Paul Buckley - 7/4/2018 3:34:02 PM

iPad 3.10.0.124

SD Manual – Pages 46-48

Hi Mike, I did find that section in the manual, and especially this part:

"To remove a georeferenced plate from the map just tap the red X button in the top left-hand corner, or open the Plates window and click the blue map-marker button next to the corresponding plate."

clicking the red button takes it away, but some time later it will come back again. I do not want it to appear in the first place, unless I click the blue map-marker button in the plates window to explicitly show it. It seems to show automatically it if you have ever looked at it before?

I see that you can delete them from the list and then they dont show, but then you dont have them downloaded for when you do what them! Also, the blue map-marker seems only for showing a map, not removing it?

another observation is the one automatically displayed seems irrespective of which you selected using the blue map marker, e.g. Dinard LFRD has 2 AIP charts and 2 Pooleys ones. It always picks the AIP VFR approach chart.

Edited 7/5/2018 9:21:02 AM by Paul Buckley
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)
SkyDemon brings up a VAC for an airfield in the background if you have planned to route by it, and the VAC has been downloaded and is therefore available. It sounds like you're in a position where you want all the VACs downloaded, and you want to plan your route via an airfield, but you don't wan the VAC for that airfield showing in the background of the map. Since SkyDemon has worked the way it does for many years, perhaps you could explain your reasoning behind this? If many people would rather there were a global option to stop the automatic loading of plates, we would consider adding one.
Paul Buckley
P
Tim Dawson - 7/5/2018 11:38:55 AM
SkyDemon brings up a VAC for an airfield in the background if you have planned to route by it, and the VAC has been downloaded and is therefore available. It sounds like you're in a position where you want all the VACs downloaded, and you want to plan your route via an airfield, but you don't wan the VAC for that airfield showing in the background of the map. Since SkyDemon has worked the way it does for many years, perhaps you could explain your reasoning behind this? If many people would rather there were a global option to stop the automatic loading of plates, we would consider adding one.

thanks Tim. I just started noticing it more and more and figured I may have turned an option on inadvertantly but evidently not.

I just like you standard charts so much that the VAC overlay can be a bit off putting if you weren't expecting it and it suddenly appears in flight! but it's certainly nice to have it available on demand.  the most common thing required is the visual reporting points, but these are on the standard charts, so by default personally I would prefer to stick to your SD charts for consistency, and then just bring up the others as and when desired in the usual way.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)SkyDemon Team (619K reputation)
Thanks for explaining; that is helpful.
Mintball
Mintball
Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)
I second this and i know that almost everyone that I know that use skydemon is very annoyed by this feature. We don’t understand why it’s not an option to still have it “not appear” even though it’s downloaded.

What’s even worse is that I regularly fly a route, sometimes 3 times a day, that goes in somewhat of a circle around my airport and many times even when I’m not on the final leg of my route towards the airport the overlay keep appearing. So I have to close it again and again........and again. At least only make it show up when your actually at the end of the route, bur now i know that i can delete so it will stop appearing But would have liked to have it ready for that one time in a 100 when i want to check it.

And while I’m at it two small little things:

-Please let it be possible to update airplanes with the deviation for that plane.
- And I think I must be missing something because the “follow the aircraft option” when I turn it on is great, it follows it and if I scroll to far away I can push the arrows pointing to the aircraft. But when I only move the map a little bit off and then want it to follow the airplane I don’t seem to find a button for this? My only fix then is to untoggle the follow button again to make it do so.

Besides this very happy with it and introduce it to all my students!
Edited 8/2/2018 8:52:46 AM by Mintball
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Why do you keep having to close it? What's it obscuring that you need?

Regarding your other two points, 1. aeroplanes don't have "deviation" as far as I'm aware, please could you be more specific and 2. if you move the map while flying it will return to your position after 15 seconds. There's only a button (the arrow) to bring it back if you scroll so you're offscreen, but just leave it for 15 seconds in either case and it'll go back.

Mintball
Mintball
Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)Too Much Forum (405 reputation)
Regarding the map, it’s basically just annoying having halve the screen showing the georeferenced map and the other showing the normal map when I’m not inbound to land. I don’t know,”black and white” mixed with the bright colours of the normal map is not something I personally want. And I feel I get a much better situational awareness without the georeferenced map most places since it has better details, so that makes me keep having to close it again and again as it comes back. But at the same time it would be nice to have it downloaded so that I can check it before arrival and sometimes at high altitudes I don’t have any service to download it. That’s my main problem with it. It should be able to download and turned to off unless I ask for it.

And yes I know about the 15 seconds. Flying a fast airplane sometimes 15 seconds is sometimes a long time to wait, so I was hoping there was just a click for me to center the screen. No big problem just saying I would have liked to have it.

Deviation is a error caused by influences of the airplane where it is installed. This can be caused by many things such as ferrous materials, wiring with running currents.

To be more specific, Compass deviation.Deviation is written on a little chart located close to the compass in each airplane and says something like on heading 090 deviation +-3 of stear 093. This we put into the navigational plan.

I know this is GPS navigation but would have been nice to have the option so that it’s possible to generate a 100% operational flight plan that can be printed and for use in offline mode when the gps stops working for example
Edited 8/4/2018 6:13:14 PM by Mintball
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Thank you for confirming you were referring to compass deviation. The issue of automatically appearing georeferenced plates is one we have scheduled for internal discussion.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search