Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

TerrainSafe for Planning

Author
Ulrich Weber
Too Much Forum (359 reputation)Too Much Forum (359 reputation)Too Much Forum (359 reputation)Too Much Forum (359 reputation)Too Much Forum (359 reputation)Too Much Forum (359 reputation)Too Much Forum (359 reputation)Too Much Forum (359 reputation)Too Much Forum (359 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When planning a new trip‌ I frequenty find myself flying around with Simulator just to have the beautiful visibility that TerrainSafe offers. I live near the mountains and it's often hard to see with the normal map how wide valleys at a certain altitude are and which valleys are well connected to each. Just the other day I went from Munich to Basel and had to find a good route under Zurich CTR. 
W‌ould it be possible to enable TerrainSafe in planning mode as a simple overlay? This shouldn't be too much work since it's already implemented and it would make planning so much easier. 
T‌hanks! 
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
We've thought about it, but of course it would require the input of a specific altitude. Not enough people have asked for it for us to give serious thought to the user interface we could use for configuring this sort of functionality.
Ulrich Weber
Ulrich Weber
Too Much Forum (359 reputation)Too Much Forum (359 reputation)Too Much Forum (359 reputation)Too Much Forum (359 reputation)Too Much Forum (359 reputation)Too Much Forum (359 reputation)Too Much Forum (359 reputation)Too Much Forum (359 reputation)Too Much Forum (359 reputation)
Makes sense. I'll just use the workaround with Simulator. Thanks for your reply!
Martin Bech
Martin Bech
Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)
I have for weeks ago been on a trip from Denmark to Marocco. The planning thru mountain areas took some time since we wanted to fly as low as possible. If we have had the possibility to set a flight level agl and the TerrainSafe could go green where altitude agl was ok it would be super easy to plan flight routes in mountain areas. Crossing The Alps in low altitude is beautiful.

Is there a fast way of planning low altitude flights thru mountain areas?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
I would like to enable this feature, because it wouldn't take much work and because I completely understand the benefits it would bring for planning mountain flights. We will give it thought, and suggestions on the user interface are welcome.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
I am happy to confirm that this feature will be available in planning mode from the next version of SkyDemon.
MikeTwoOne
MikeTwoOne
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 6/26/2018 12:04:14 PM
I am happy to confirm that this feature will be available in planning mode from the next version of SkyDemon.

Great news.
I‌t's not planification related, but I discovered one of the other tool I fly with implements ‌terrain safe (or whatever its name) differently, by taking the vertical velocity into account. In short, it gives you an advanced warning of what the terrain will look like if you don't change anything. I use it when flying mountains because of the massively increased situation awareness it provides.

I‌t gives an answer to 2 questions:
-‌‌ Can I espace this dead-end if I keep climbing this way or do I need to switch to plan B now?
-‌‌ Am I safe diving here this way (considering it's my only choice)?

J‌ust mentionning while you work on it... 

M‌‌

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
I think that given what we know about vertical velocity, which is that it fluctuates constantly during most normal VFR flights, this would cause the terrain to constantly redraw and the user wouldn't really know what it currently represented. I suppose you'd have to somehow prompt for the length of flight time you'd want the terrain to represent, so you'd set it to show (for example) for your altitude in two minutes? Five minutes?
T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)
Maybe the projected track bar ahead of the aircraft in flight could go yellow and then red as you get closer to the terrain?
Martin Bech
Martin Bech
Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)
The best and safest time to make a route is on the ground.

One idea is to plot a route from A to B and give an altitude agl. Then SD could lay out different routes like Ipad Maps and one could chose a route from that.

Another idea could be to enter altitude agl when planning and terrainsafe would go red below that altitude or maybe draw som lines where the altitude is ok.

In todays SD we get a warning if we plan a route and it is below minimum safe altitude on a leg. That functionallity together with terrainsafe could maybe make up a solution.

When flying and following the planned route high awareness would only come into use when weather is going bad. When SD implements voice one could get a warning from terrainsafe if ground or obstical is ahead.

Awaiting next version - Tim 👍
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search