SkyDemon Forums

TerrainSafe for Planning

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic26249.aspx

By Ukweber - 6/17/2018 9:42:34 PM

When planning a new trip‌ I frequenty find myself flying around with Simulator just to have the beautiful visibility that TerrainSafe offers. I live near the mountains and it's often hard to see with the normal map how wide valleys at a certain altitude are and which valleys are well connected to each. Just the other day I went from Munich to Basel and had to find a good route under Zurich CTR. 
W‌ould it be possible to enable TerrainSafe in planning mode as a simple overlay? This shouldn't be too much work since it's already implemented and it would make planning so much easier. 
T‌hanks! 
By Martin Bech - 6/28/2018 6:57:52 AM

The best and safest time to make a route is on the ground.

One idea is to plot a route from A to B and give an altitude agl. Then SD could lay out different routes like Ipad Maps and one could chose a route from that.

Another idea could be to enter altitude agl when planning and terrainsafe would go red below that altitude or maybe draw som lines where the altitude is ok.

In todays SD we get a warning if we plan a route and it is below minimum safe altitude on a leg. That functionallity together with terrainsafe could maybe make up a solution.

When flying and following the planned route high awareness would only come into use when weather is going bad. When SD implements voice one could get a warning from terrainsafe if ground or obstical is ahead.

Awaiting next version - Tim 👍