Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Listening alerts via headset

Author
m
Too Much Forum (271 reputation)Too Much Forum (271 reputation)Too Much Forum (271 reputation)Too Much Forum (271 reputation)Too Much Forum (271 reputation)Too Much Forum (271 reputation)Too Much Forum (271 reputation)Too Much Forum (271 reputation)Too Much Forum (271 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Is it possible hearing the warning sounds via a headset in a Samsung S2 tablet? I have set in the tablet as necessary to listen the sound coming from other apps that allow me to listen the audio, but I can not do the same with SkyDemon. The alert sounds continue to come from the tablet's speakers...
Is it possible or it is a feature not provided by SkyDemon?
‌Thanks a lot in advance.
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
mauro - 12/30/2017 7:01:09 PM
Is it possible hearing the warning sounds via a headset in a Samsung S2 tablet? I have set in the tablet as necessary to listen the sound coming from other apps that allow me to listen the audio, but I can not do the same with SkyDemon. The alert sounds continue to come from the tablet's speakers...

You need to have a Bluetooth enabled headset paired with your tablet and then you will receive SD audio alerts in your headset.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

TimT
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Sky Painter - 12/31/2017 8:32:48 AM

You need to have a Bluetooth enabled headset paired with your tablet and then you will receive SD audio alerts in your headset.

It doesn't work this way with my Bose A20 headset (bought in 2015). My Bose via Bluetooth only connects to the phone app. On my Bose A20 I have to use a 3.5mm jack audio cable to connect the iPad audio out (headphone socket) to the Aux input on the Bose A20 headset controller.

‌I have tried this set-up at my desk, and it works (with all audio sources on the iPad, not limited to SkyDemon). However, I am not sure if the volume (SPL) can be set high enough to be audible during flight. I will test this and report hack here. The volume is controlled only by the volume settings on the iPad, not by the volume controls on the headset control module (and of course not by the Bluetooth volume control on the headset control module, nor by the aircraft intercom settings).

‌Interestingly, the headset has to be ON for the aux source to be audible (whereas the mike and the intercom can be used even if the headset is OFF, e.g., in case of flat battery, of course without ANR feature).

‌‌It is indeed a cool feature to get the dynamic SD airspace warning into the headset. And it will be even more critical with the upcoming ADS-B based traffic avoidance functionality. ‌I understand that the current Mk2 version of the Bose A20 headset allows to connect to a second audio source via Bluetooth. Maybe some members can share their experience. I also understand that I can upgrade to the Mk2 Bose A20 simply by replacing the headset control module with the latest version - the headset itself is unchanged.

TimT
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
TimT - 2/18/2018 4:26:34 PM
Sky Painter - 12/31/2017 8:32:48 AM

It doesn't work this way with my Bose A20 headset (bought in 2015). My Bose via Bluetooth only connects to the phone app. On my Bose A20 I have to use a 3.5mm jack audio cable to connect the iPad audio out (headphone socket) to the Aux input on the Bose A20 headset controller.

‌I have tried this set-up at my desk, and it works (with all audio sources on the iPad, not limited to SkyDemon). However, I am not sure if the volume (SPL) can be set high enough to be audible during flight. I will test this and report hack here. The volume is controlled only by the volume settings on the iPad, not by the volume controls on the headset control module (and of course not by the Bluetooth volume control on the headset control module, nor by the aircraft intercom settings).

‌Interestingly, the headset has to be ON for the aux source to be audible (whereas the mike and the intercom can be used even if the headset is OFF, e.g., in case of flat battery, of course without ANR feature).

‌‌It is indeed a cool feature to get the dynamic SD airspace warning into the headset. And it will be even more critical with the upcoming ADS-B based traffic avoidance functionality. ‌I understand that the current Mk2 version of the Bose A20 headset allows to connect to a second audio source via Bluetooth. Maybe some members can share their experience. I also understand that I can upgrade to the Mk2 Bose A20 simply by replacing the headset control module with the latest version - the headset itself is unchanged.

I have tried this set-up at my desk, and it works (with all audio sources on the iPad, not limited to SkyDemon). However, I am not sure if the volume (SPL) can be set high enough to be audible during flight. I will test this and report hack here. The volume is controlled only by the volume settings on the iPad, not by the volume controls on the headset control module

‌I works perfectly alright, even in flight. Just one more cable to take care of Smile . The volume is just fine with the "Ringer and Alerts" volume set to max (in Settings/Sounds). I recommend to tick "Change with Buttons" so you can use the hardware volume buttons to easily adjust the volume of the SkyDemon alerts if required.

Nino7879
N
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)
Hi folks, I am currently going through the free trial period with SD and evaluating if I should subscribe or not.

It's a real pity that I cannot hear SD audio messages in flight.

Please forgive my naive question : assuming one can easily connect a Y jack cable between the plane headset female plug and his Gopro cam in order to record the dialogs, I would suspect that the reverse should be possible : ie connecting by cable the 3.5 jack audio output of my tablet to either the headset or the mic female jack of the plane.

Did I write a stupidity ?
Did anyone already try ? 
To the headset plug or the mic plug ?
With a particular cable or care, due to a possible different impedance or whatever ?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

TimT
TimT
TimT - 2/25/2018 1:44:37 PM

It works perfectly alright, even in flight. Just one more cable to take care of Smile . The volume is just fine with the "Ringer and Alerts" volume set to max (in Settings/Sounds). I recommend to tick "Change with Buttons" so you can use the hardware volume buttons to easily adjust the volume of the SkyDemon alerts if required.

I have since upgraded my Bose A20 with the latest Bluetooth adapter cable. I now get SD audio (airspace and traffic warnings) directly into my headset, without cable. One cable less to take care of!

I have disable "produce sounds for warnings" and exclusively use "produce speech for airspace warnings". Therefore now the "Ringer and Alerts" settings are no longer relevant.

SPL for speech warnings is actually set with two volume settings on the iPad, which unfortunately interfere with each other:

- The hardware volume buttoms on the side of the iPad, and
- The touchscreen slider in the iOS control pane

To get max volume, you need to open both to max. They also seem to reset themselves in miraculous ways, in particular the hardware volume buttons. So this is the first I check when I don't hear well.  

Edited 6/5/2019 2:28:56 PM by TimT
TimT
TimT
Nino7879 - 6/5/2019 1:56:45 PM
Hi folks, I am currently going through the free trial period with SD and evaluating if I should subscribe or not.

It's a real pity that I cannot hear SD audio messages in flight.

Please forgive my naive question : assuming one can easily connect a Y jack cable between the plane headset female plug and his Gopro cam in order to record the dialogs, I would suspect that the reverse should be possible : ie connecting by cable the 3.5 jack audio output of my tablet to either the headset or the mic female jack of the plane.

Did I write a stupidity ?
Did anyone already try ? 
To the headset plug or the mic plug ?
With a particular cable or care, due to a possible different impedance or whatever ?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Use a (wired) Bose headset with Bluetooth, and everything will be fine. Connect from tablet to haedset controller, either by 3.5mm male to male cable, or via Bluetooth.

The speech airspace and traffic warnings work like a dream.

Edited 6/5/2019 2:34:50 PM by TimT
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search