SkyDemon Forums

Listening alerts via headset

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic25077.aspx

By Nino7879 - 6/5/2019 1:56:45 PM

Hi folks, I am currently going through the free trial period with SD and evaluating if I should subscribe or not.

It's a real pity that I cannot hear SD audio messages in flight.

Please forgive my naive question : assuming one can easily connect a Y jack cable between the plane headset female plug and his Gopro cam in order to record the dialogs, I would suspect that the reverse should be possible : ie connecting by cable the 3.5 jack audio output of my tablet to either the headset or the mic female jack of the plane.

Did I write a stupidity ?
Did anyone already try ? 
To the headset plug or the mic plug ?
With a particular cable or care, due to a possible different impedance or whatever ?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
By TimT - 6/5/2019 2:20:28 PM

TimT - 2/25/2018 1:44:37 PM

It works perfectly alright, even in flight. Just one more cable to take care of Smile . The volume is just fine with the "Ringer and Alerts" volume set to max (in Settings/Sounds). I recommend to tick "Change with Buttons" so you can use the hardware volume buttons to easily adjust the volume of the SkyDemon alerts if required.

I have since upgraded my Bose A20 with the latest Bluetooth adapter cable. I now get SD audio (airspace and traffic warnings) directly into my headset, without cable. One cable less to take care of!

I have disable "produce sounds for warnings" and exclusively use "produce speech for airspace warnings". Therefore now the "Ringer and Alerts" settings are no longer relevant.

SPL for speech warnings is actually set with two volume settings on the iPad, which unfortunately interfere with each other:

- The hardware volume buttoms on the side of the iPad, and
- The touchscreen slider in the iOS control pane

To get max volume, you need to open both to max. They also seem to reset themselves in miraculous ways, in particular the hardware volume buttons. So this is the first I check when I don't hear well.  
By TimT - 6/5/2019 2:32:51 PM

Nino7879 - 6/5/2019 1:56:45 PM
Hi folks, I am currently going through the free trial period with SD and evaluating if I should subscribe or not.

It's a real pity that I cannot hear SD audio messages in flight.

Please forgive my naive question : assuming one can easily connect a Y jack cable between the plane headset female plug and his Gopro cam in order to record the dialogs, I would suspect that the reverse should be possible : ie connecting by cable the 3.5 jack audio output of my tablet to either the headset or the mic female jack of the plane.

Did I write a stupidity ?
Did anyone already try ? 
To the headset plug or the mic plug ?
With a particular cable or care, due to a possible different impedance or whatever ?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Use a (wired) Bose headset with Bluetooth, and everything will be fine. Connect from tablet to haedset controller, either by 3.5mm male to male cable, or via Bluetooth.

The speech airspace and traffic warnings work like a dream.
By mauro - 12/30/2017 7:01:09 PM

Is it possible hearing the warning sounds via a headset in a Samsung S2 tablet? I have set in the tablet as necessary to listen the sound coming from other apps that allow me to listen the audio, but I can not do the same with SkyDemon. The alert sounds continue to come from the tablet's speakers...
Is it possible or it is a feature not provided by SkyDemon?
‌Thanks a lot in advance.