Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

IPAD Wifi and Cellular and Garmin Glo

Author
guille
Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I want to know if when using Garmin Glo with the IPAD, once the bluetooth connection is established, the IPAD uses automatically the information from the GLO. Apparently there is no way to know it. I will test it flying over the sea, with the barometric altimeter calibrated (my airfield is at sea level) and test if I get differences.
guille
guille
Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)
guille - 11/22/2017 4:51:38 PM
I want to know if when using Garmin Glo with the IPAD, once the bluetooth connection is established, the IPAD uses automatically the information from the GLO. Apparently there is no way to know it. I will test it flying over the sea, with the barometric altimeter calibrated (my airfield is at sea level) and test if I get differences.

I can answer my question ... Using Garmin Pilot app (free for some months) I could verify that it was connected. I hope also that SkyDemon will choice the best of the two GPS sensors ... Can somebody confirm this ?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
SkyDemon has no choice in the matter. If you're using an external GPS it is iOS which decides what location source to give to apps.
guille
guille
Tim Dawson - 11/23/2017 4:17:46 PM
SkyDemon has no choice in the matter. If you're using an external GPS it is iOS which decides what location source to give to apps.

Hopefully, iOS will make the good choice ... I will see when flying next week and keep alive this information. If it does not, it seems better to have an IPAD wifi only.

guille
guille
guille - 11/23/2017 5:12:01 PM

Hopefully, iOS will make the good choice ... I will see when flying next week and keep alive this information. If it does not, it seems better to have an IPAD wifi only.

IOS makes the good choice ... it uses the internal GPS !!! I managed to connect my Galaxy phone, with bluetooth to the Garmin GLO and could compare with the IPAD, closing and opening the bluetooth connexion.  The IPAD gives the same results, with and without Bluetooth. The errors in altitude (and of course height) where between 0 and a maximum of 80 ft with the IPAD connected and not connected to the GLO. The Galaxy, when using the GLO, had errors much higher !!! almost 200 ft in some cases. The IPAD I am using now (I bought a new one) is the Mini 4, using both GPS and GLONASS, and the level of error diminished substantially compared to the previous one. The Galaxy phone has also GPS and GLONASS and the errors are smaller too, compared to the ones using the GLO !!! I do not understand why these results, as the GLO uses WAAS and EGNOSS. Anyway, the level of error of the internal devices are now acceptable. Only problem: I spent more than 100 Euros for nothing !!!!!
‌I was flying on the coastal line, close to LFMT, calibrating the Altimeter to the pressure value provided from LFMT.

George Reid
George Reid
Too Much Forum (9.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.2K reputation)
guille - 11/30/2017 5:11:22 PM
guille - 11/23/2017 5:12:01 PM

IOS makes the good choice ... it uses the internal GPS !!! I managed to connect my Galaxy phone, with bluetooth to the Garmin GLO and could compare with the IPAD, closing and opening the bluetooth connexion.  The IPAD gives the same results, with and without Bluetooth. The errors in altitude (and of course height) where between 0 and a maximum of 80 ft with the IPAD connected and not connected to the GLO. The Galaxy, when using the GLO, had errors much higher !!! almost 200 ft in some cases. The IPAD I am using now (I bought a new one) is the Mini 4, using both GPS and GLONASS, and the level of error diminished substantially compared to the previous one. The Galaxy phone has also GPS and GLONASS and the errors are smaller too, compared to the ones using the GLO !!! I do not understand why these results, as the GLO uses WAAS and EGNOSS. Anyway, the level of error of the internal devices are now acceptable. Only problem: I spent more than 100 Euros for nothing !!!!!
‌I was flying on the coastal line, close to LFMT, calibrating the Altimeter to the pressure value provided from LFMT.

Some android devices automatically apply a geoid correction to the GPS data and some do not.  The use of a geoid correction can be established by checking the android devices' setup parameters.

Skydemon for android applies the geoid correction to the received GPS data.  It is therefore important to ensure that the android device does not apply this correction too otherwise it will be applied twice leading to altitude errors.‌

George E A Reid

Ipad Mini 5,  IOS 14.4,  SD 3.15.0.288
PC(Win 10, Version 19041.804)  SD 3.15.0.0

Martin Bech
Martin Bech
Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)
I am using a Garmin GLO and when connected via bluetooth to my Ipad, SD is using GLO for gps. Giving me updates at least 5 times more often than internal gps in Ipad.
guille
guille
Thanks for the information ! This means, if I understand, that the Android device is the source of error  using GLO and that the internal GPS of my IPAD provides almost the same information of the GLO. I will remake the tests more carefully, without looking at the Galaxy next time I fly with a passenger in charge of the devices ... Are you using an IPAD cellular+wifi ?
George Reid
George Reid
Too Much Forum (9.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.2K reputation)
guille - 12/2/2017 5:11:59 PM
Thanks for the information ! This means, if I understand, that the Android device is the source of error  using GLO and that the internal GPS of my IPAD provides almost the same information of the GLO. I will remake the tests more carefully, without looking at the Galaxy next time I fly with a passenger in charge of the devices ... Are you using an IPAD cellular+wifi ?

If you use the Bluetooth GPS app to connect your android device to the garmin GLO you should check the settings of the Bluetooth GPS app to ensure that the Geoid correction is not being applied to the GPS output.

George E A Reid

Ipad Mini 5,  IOS 14.4,  SD 3.15.0.288
PC(Win 10, Version 19041.804)  SD 3.15.0.0

Martin Bech
Martin Bech
Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)
I use Ipad celluar + wifi. I have also tested the solution when flying commercial with the garmin GLO at the window and Ipad with SD active. If I turn of GLO I loose connection to gps sattelites.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search