Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

IPAD Wifi and Cellular and Garmin Glo

Author
guille
Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Martin Bech - 12/3/2017 3:12:49 PM
I use Ipad celluar + wifi. I have also tested the solution when flying commercial with the garmin GLO at the window and Ipad with SD active. If I turn of GLO I loose connection to gps sattelites.

Thanks a lot ! I had the sensation that nothing changed connecting and disconnecting the Bluetooth connection to the IPAD, your test confirms then that it is better with the GLO. In the conditions I tested, there was no difference. Good to know there is a difference that justifies the use (and the purchase) of GLO.

Edited 12/3/2017 4:20:27 PM by guille
Martin Bech
Martin Bech
Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.8K reputation)
New info: Just had a commercial trip from Riga to Billund and used GLO with my Ipad. About 20 miles before Billund the altitude went to 0. The airplane in SD still moved along the route but altitude still 0. Turned of GLO and Ipad gps worked and changed to correct altitude. After testing several conditions with GLO I decide to scrap GLO - it is not always working correct.
guille
guille
Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)
Martin Bech - 12/5/2017 6:07:33 PM
New info: Just had a commercial trip from Riga to Billund and used GLO with my Ipad. About 20 miles before Billund the altitude went to 0. The airplane in SD still moved along the route but altitude still 0. Turned of GLO and Ipad gps worked and changed to correct altitude. After testing several conditions with GLO I decide to scrap GLO - it is not always working correct.

Thanks again for the information. Today I tested again during a local flight on my region, from sea level to 3000 ft elevation, and the values of altitude given by the internal GPS of the IPAD and the ones given by the GLO where almost the same. So, even if the GLO may be better in some circunstances, it appears that the values given by the internal GPS are also good.  And both may have failures ... so, for security I keep also the Android device as backup. Anyway, I used my former IPAD four years, flying more than 500 hours and I had never a failure of the internal GPS. Only problem was the error concerning altitude (and height of course) The IPAD mini 4 appears to be also good concerning altitude, 

Edited 12/5/2017 7:01:49 PM by guille
TimT
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
guille - 11/30/2017 5:11:22 PM
guille - 11/23/2017 5:12:01 PM
Tim Dawson - 11/23/2017 4:17:46 PM
SkyDemon has no choice in the matter. If you're using an external GPS it is iOS which decides what location source to give to apps.

Hopefully, iOS will make the good choice ... I will see when flying next week and keep alive this information. If it does not, it seems better to have an IPAD wifi only.

IOS makes the good choice ... it uses the internal GPS !!! I managed to connect my Galaxy phone, with bluetooth to the Garmin GLO and could compare with the IPAD, closing and opening the bluetooth connexion.  The IPAD gives the same results, with and without Bluetooth. The errors in altitude (and of course height) where between 0 and a maximum of 80 ft with the IPAD connected and not connected to the GLO. The Galaxy, when using the GLO, had errors much higher !!! almost 200 ft in some cases. The IPAD I am using now (I bought a new one) is the Mini 4, using both GPS and GLONASS, and the level of error diminished substantially compared to the previous one. The Galaxy phone has also GPS and GLONASS and the errors are smaller too, compared to the ones using the GLO !!! I do not understand why these results, as the GLO uses WAAS and EGNOSS. Anyway, the level of error of the internal devices are now acceptable. Only problem: I spent more than 100 Euros for nothing !!!!!
‌I was flying on the coastal line, close to LFMT, calibrating the Altimeter to the pressure value provided from LFMT.

Interesting experience that you share here. Regarding your observation that IOS gives preference to its inbuilt GPS receiver over an external receiver, that would indeed be counterintuitive! Clearly, there could be cases where your iOS devise is shadowed from having a clear view on the sky, and is therefore not getting good GPS fixes. In such cases, the user would place an external GPS (like GLO) in a 'strategic' location, and connect to it via Bluetooth.

Claudio Cacaci
C
Too Much Forum (132 reputation)Too Much Forum (132 reputation)Too Much Forum (132 reputation)Too Much Forum (132 reputation)Too Much Forum (132 reputation)Too Much Forum (132 reputation)Too Much Forum (132 reputation)Too Much Forum (132 reputation)Too Much Forum (132 reputation)
Does anybody give comments about precision using gps datas from the pilotaware device? Using SD with Pilotaware needs to select Pilotaware as gps device.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search