Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SkyEcho with SkyDemon

Author
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
SemperFi - 11/18/2017 10:37:52 AM
The following is strictly my current personal opinion and does not claim any broader validity outside my direct view.

‌I see detecting A/C XPDR signals as quite limited benefit and do mostly agree with Tim. These current electronic gadgets tend to fool and lull pilots into wrong device dependencies and I see that as critical risk. And it is not a potential risk, but a real one, as far as I can tell from recent check rides.

‌I do use several traffic detection devices in the training aircraft for demonstration purpose, the current list is: certified full active hybride TCAS II, mobile Monroy-ATD300 for XPDR detection (no directional antenna fitted), PowerFlarm and last year added, Stratux and Pilotaware, simply because people asked for it. They all give certain aspects for collision avoidance, some more efficient, some less, but - my very personal opinion only - the Stratux and Pilotaware are a waste of money, almost useless and even on the rim to dangerous for certain pilots.

‌I am an avowed opponent of DIY and especially the pilotaware/STRATUX approach, so definitely biased. My major concerns are two thing - first the aforementioned lull effect on increasingly irresponsible pilots and second the lack of automatic cut-off of the signals in airspaces where the transmission is illegal. The latter may, and definitely has to, be solved very quickly, the first is a contemporary threat we may not be able to get rid of.

‌I really appreciate the implementation of these devices into Skydemon, if it be only to keep pressure on the authorities to finally do something modern on collision avoidance, but the combination of electronic moving maps and showing traffic on these gadgets is not without concern.

‌I do use several traffic detection devices in the training aircraft for demonstration purpose, the current list is: certified full active hybride TCAS II, mobile Monroy-ATD300 for XPDR detection (no directional antenna fitted), ...

‌How is the Monroy device performing? Monroy promises to approximate distance of the Mode C target, using signal strength as a proxy.

‌I am most intrigued by Monroy's phase array scanning antenna that promises to detect the relative bearing of a Mode C sqwaking target. Does anybody have experience with this? Does it work?

AbelGill
A
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi..there really isn't a traffic surveillance to be used on tablets in the UK, or better Europe. Save your money, features like GBT and WX via 1090 or UAT are US only. If you encounter GPS reception problems, you may get an external GPS, but in 95+% the built-in of the cellular iPad and iPhone will do the job just fine.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search